Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out one of my old guns this evening and went to the range with it.Had no idea where it was shooting.I missed about 7 out of the first 10.The shooter next to me asked to try it(he is a really good shot)and took a shot and said the gun shoots fairly flat. so I was probably shooting under the target.
I started holding on the bird and broke the next 14 out of 15 birds.The gun has a monte carlo stock and my question is can I make it into an adjustable comb.What would it cost to do the job?I think I can really shoot this gun if I can get it to shoot a little higher.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Or... if you want to experiment to see how your gun would shoot with a higher comb, add moleskin to the top of the comb. You will probably only need two or three layers of it to make the gun shoot four or five inches higher at 35 yards.

If you do not want to pay for an adjustable comb, Kick-Eez makes adhesive- backed Cheek-Eez pads of varying thicknesses (that can be removed with WD-40 if you decide to go first class with an adjustable comb) to raise the comb.

Raising the height of your comb will prevent having to cover rising targets to provide the necessary forward/vertical lead.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Lots of good stock smithies at the larger shoots. Your state shoot, any of the regional Grands, and large club shoots like the Fall Handicaps. Leave the gun and get it back the next morning with the work done. If you are planning to attend a bigger shoot, check to see which vendors will be there. Or send the gun to any of the advertisers here or in the shooting magazines. I can't think of a poor job or hardware available in aftermarket. There are several products that offer recoil reduction and or adjustable LOP, pad adjuster. Soft top on the top of the comb. This is a good time to get the gun fit properly.

Money well spent to get the gun to shoot for you, but don't expect much back if you decide to sell the gun latter. Adjuster hardware seems to be expected when buying or selling target guns.

maltzie

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Jim Tyner said:
Greg Hissem is a master at adj. combs.
+1 on that. He just did a convert from Monte Carlo to adjustable on one of my stocks and I am very impressed with both his craftsmanship and his really quick turn-around time. :wink:

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've had two adjustable combs installed on shotguns with Monte Carlo stocks by Rod's Custom Stocks: www.rodscustomstocks.com/. Rod does exquisite works and provides friendly customer service. The cost is $200. He'll be at the Grand American.

Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rollin Oswald said:
Or... if you want to experiment to see how your gun would shoot with a higher comb, add moleskin to the top of the comb.
Excellent advice, not surprisingly from the guy who wrote the book.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
code5coupe said:
Jim Tyner said:
Greg Hissem is a master at adj. combs.
+1 on that. He just did a convert from Monte Carlo to adjustable on one of my stocks and I am very impressed with both his craftsmanship and his really quick turn-around time. :wink:
Gregg works on my guns when I want a comg put in. Top shelf work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.