Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,303 Posts
If the Weatherby is a new Turkish gun rather than a Japanese made one, then neither. I have a distrust of Turkish O/U and SxS guns and Benellis do not do anything for me. As a star get gun, they are a bit lighter than I prefer and the recoil action does not reduce felt recoil as much as a gas gun.

That is my two cents, others may have different opinions and I don't doubt they are right for them.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I believe that newer Weatherby shotguns are indeed mfg'd in Turkey. I don't personally believe that diminishes the quality, but many obviously do believe it diminishes the quality. Modern Charles Daly shotguns are also made in Turkey.

Yildiz, TriStar, and ATI shotguns are mfg'd in Turkey.

Some modern Savage, CZ, Howa..., etc...

· Registered
2,849 Posts
Well the monte is one of the greatest autos ever made. The quality is well above the price point when compared with any non benelli auto.

BUT I wouldn’t recommend an inertia gun for frequent sporting clays use IF 12ga. Now if you’re talking 20ga then
I’d say great choice but also worth your effort to consider a used 391 20ga.

· Registered
29,976 Posts
Looking at getting a new shotgun. Will be used 80% sporting clays and about 20% birds. Looking at Benelli Montefeltro sporting and Weatherby Orion sporting. Thoughts?
Just saying "birds" doesn't mean much. A dove is a bird, so is a goose. Neither are ideal goose guns. There is no rational way to simply compare an O/U to an autoloader, and you have far more options than just those two models.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just saying "birds" doesn't mean much. A dove is a bird, so is a goose. Neither are ideal goose guns. There is no rational way to simply compare an O/U to an autoloader, and you have far more options than just those two models.
Clays 80% of the time so looking for a sporting model that can crossover to shoot birds maybe. Not geese though. Mainly looking for experience with quality and longevity comparing the two. What else would you recommend $1,000 range 30” barrels?

· Registered
207 Posts
I won an Orion (not the Sporting model) on a $10 raffle ticket a few years ago. It was an OK gun but I doubt it would stand up to heavy use. I sold it and used the proceeds for a Montefeltro Sporting. I shot it a few times and I do like the Monte. However, I joined a local skeet club and bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting. The Monte now sits in a sock in the back of my safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts