Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a montefeltro sporting. I'm experiencing about 5-6 malfunctions per 100 rounds. Ammo is Winchester super target 1 1/8 oz 1145fps. I have added a mercury recoil reducer in the butt and a weighted magazine cap. Would either of these affect reliability? I fired about 400 rounds trouble free before adding the weight. I also purchased a fresh lot of ammo when the trouble started. Should I move up to 1200fps? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, inertia systems are very dependent on the amount of initial movement on the shot. This movement is what allows the rotary bolt to begin moving (actually the gun moves and the bolt stays stationary) and triggers the reciprocating action. Too much weight, and the gun doesn't move, hence failure to cycle. The same thing happens if you put the buttstock up against a fence post and pull the trigger, it won't cycle. That being said, I'm still surprised that 3 dram 1.125 oz loads won't cycle, but cheap Winchesters are about the worst in the world for failing to cycle (too much steel in the case causes tight extraction). If you want to go cheap, try federals, rios or fios.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This load is 1 1/8 oz. and 2 3/4 dram equivalent @ 1145 fps. I will try different brands and if that doesn't work move up to 3 dram loads.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mine will cycle anything I stuff in it, including 7/8 oz, but I will not buy anything made by winchester (except AA). Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
>>I have added a mercury recoil reducer in the butt and a weighted magazine cap.<<

I'd remove one or the other and see what happens. On both my Benellis I use C&H weighted magazine caps and they work just fine. I suspect your problem might be having the mercury reducer in the butt stock as well.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I was warned by the Benelli Technical staff that even altering the recoil pad may affect the cycling. I would suggest going back to the original configuration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts