Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out skeet shooting with the Mrs. a couple of times now, and come home a little disappointed with my results. With more misses than hits and no instruction, I can only guess that I am not leading the target enough. I know I have to put my time in to become proficient at the sport, but can anyone else guess what I'm doing wrong without being there. Here are a few details that might help: Rem 870 Express 12 Ga. 26" barrel w/Mod choke XXXX brand sporting loads #8 (whatever is on sale) ORBaikal O/U 12 Ga. 28" barrelsame ammoI'll be going out again this weekend, so any advice you can give would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
How about getting a skeet or atleast Improved cylinder choke tube? That will help you a lot. Walmart should have either one for the 870.Secondly, instead of shooting a round, try staying at one station and shooting the same target 5-10 times. The repetition will allow you to develop the lead for the shot. Dont worry about the doubles till you get the singles down.Another thing may be to ask one of the local shooters to take a look at your form, if you are not mounting the gun properly, holding it correctly, or doing the same thing every time some simple pointers may get you headed down the road to consistancy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm.. how can I suggest this delicately?Find an instructor!After 48 years I decided to start skeet shooting. Found an instructor and took one lesson. Within 30 days I was shooting a consistent 20. After the second lesson 20 is a thing of the past.There is no way you can intelligently decide what your doing wrong and correct it if you don't know what is right or what your shot looks like. The instructor will really make a difference with only one session.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amen to what MTaylor suggests...and the sooner the better. You absolutely DO NOT want to get those wrong pictures that you have been seeing ingrained in your memory bank! If you prefer to get help w/out an instructor there are a number of good videos out there. Look in the back of an issue of Shotgun Sports or Sporting Clays. Just starting out like you are, though, I feel that asking a competent shooter to watch you and make some suggestions is best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am breaking a few more clays now. Tomorrow I am going to the local club to see how the experienced folks do it. Perhaps I can observe something to help me improve... Practice, practice, and more practice! :b

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Something I would suggest watching is the way that the good shooters address the target and how they mount the gun. Consistent gun mount is very important to consistent breaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts