Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are sometimes not what they appear to be. Disassembled 9 primers to see to my own satisfaction why Cheddites have more piercing problems than any other primer that I am aware of. Take note that Cheddite has the lightest and thinnest anvil and primer cup. Their anvil design is also different and a poor design IMO. Also note that the only brass primer cups are in the Remington primers, with the exception of a W209 taken from a 20+ year old CF AA.
Font Pattern Parallel Number Monochrome
A year or so ago, Federal's primer cup was brass but is now steel.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I take it you don't like Cheddite primers. Then do not use them. That leaves more for those that do.
Approaching 40000 with out a single problem. No misfires. No pierced. There are other primers available.
I have had problems with Winchester and Remington. With misfires and piercing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
debken75, interesting article, must have taken you a while to gather all of this information, I happen to have some Rem. STS primers, fired & new, but they are all magnetic, was the one you used out of a box of primers or did you take it out of a Rem. shell???
Out of a Rem shell. Assuming you knocked the primer cup out of the primer?

·
Registered
217 Posts
debken75, interesting article, must have taken you a while to gather all of this information, I happen to have some Rem. STS primers, fired & new, but they are all magnetic, was the one you used out of a box of primers or did you take it out of a Rem. shell???
Not in the data above, but ALL current 209 primers use a steel battery cup. This is where the most material is used, and using a brass battery cup offers no benefits and additional cost. So yes, every current primer will be magnetic because of the steel battery cup.

Brass primer cups offer benefits, as do brass anvils. A few times over the years, Remington’s production managers switched to a steel anvil in the 20 gauge Gun Clubs only. As several of you may remember, there were quite a few runs of 20 gauge Gun Clubs exhibiting pierced primers when fired. A steel anvil and a brass primer cup don’t go together well. Once Remington switched back to the brass anvil, the piercing problem in the 20 gauge Gun Club shells went away. This type of primer with a steel anvil and brass cup is, however, still used in some of the Game Loads and Heavy Dove loads.

Given the data above, if Winchester recently switched to a steel anvil and primer cup, it might seem that the wider anvil ameliorates the piercing problem, as Winchester primers aren’t terribly prone to piercing.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Wow, this is a deep dive....

Reactions: RGuill96971

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
No, all my (2016 forward) batches of reloading-component Win 209s have a cartridge brass primer cup. Knock it out of a fired primer, and you will find it is non-magnetic, as I reported couple weeks ago. But if you have found something other than a Cheddite 209 primer with a magnetic primer cup, I'd love to see some photos.

None of the battery cups are MADE of zinc or copper, they are usually steel with a plating of cadmium, brass, or copper. You can't just LOOK at the battery cups and assume the plating is the body of the cup material. All you have recorded about battery cups is the plating color. Which, of course, has no real importance to piercing. It does help with identification.

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been sticking the Cheddites into 20 ga Remington Hulls , then shooting with my Browning - No issues to speak of
No reason to change - I was more concerned with pressure using them -
sent out a batch - same load except primer - Fed 209 A were " hotter " pressure was higher

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On your chart you say that the primer cup is not magnetic??
Yes. Remember, a 209 primer consists of three pieces, battery cup, primer cup, and anvil. use a 1/16 punch and drive out the primer cup through the flash hole against the anvil. you now have three pieces. Both the anvil and the primer cup are non magnetic on the Remington primers. All battery cups are magnetic, regardless of what color they appear to be. I guess I wrongly assumed that everyone knew that.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I have about 9000 Cheddites and have no problems with Brownings o/u and Fabarm shotguns . My Browning 725 sometimes will not fire a Fiocchi primed shell in the top barrel. I think it is a firing pin problem more so than a primer problem as the gun is along in years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts