Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting a few slugs the saftey on my mossberg 500 is sticking.I have the trigger assy out .Should i try to lightly file the contact points? Has anyone else ever had this problem? THANKS

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had this problem twice with my 12 gauge mossberg 500 and a friend of mine has had the same problem.

In all cases the culprit is a small piece of underbrush, a seed or something else caught in the trigger assembly. Usually, dissasembling the slide and dropping the trigger assembly out will take care of it. Be careful not to lose the small BB that is under the tang slide itself!

One time it required the services of a gunsmith to take the entire trigger assembly apart. He said there was quite a bit of brush in there!!

I had a bad habit of holding the gun in front and away from me while busting thick cover. My buddy never did that but he still got a piece of milo in there somehow and it jammed up the tang safety.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
Now you tell me .(ha ha)I think I am missing a spring. I found the small detent ball it was under the couch.Does any one know of a diagram showing the proper re-assembly?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Make sure the plastic button is not cracked, if it is you need to replace it.
I had this problem on a Moss 500 and a new button, ball, screw, spring, detent plate fixed it.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
are u sure its really stuck? i own a mossberg 500 and i will admit the safty takes a bit of strength to move sometimes and can feel like its stuck but it just needs a little extra strength to move

thats 1 reason why i try not to use the safty that often

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.