Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely new to tactical shotguns. Looking for some extra information on the following guns: Mossberg 590 DA and the FNH Tactical Police Shotgun. (Is there a model number that I am missing for the FNH?)I have been looking online for information on these weopons and have found some useful items. Right now I am looking for some information that I can use to compare these two weapons. I had not heard of the FNH until I walked into a shop the other day and I liked it's look and feel. I would like to know more especially in regards to the trigger action and operation. The site I found doesn't say much.Anyway, I am completely new and am looking for a HD weapon that I could use as well as my wife. The only weapons I have fired were in the military and my wife has never fired any type of weapon. I would appreciate whatever knowledge and experience could be shared. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You've probably already found this on the 590DA, but if not: http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Law.htm.

Anyway, I don't know about the FNH specifically, but Fabrique Nationale-Herstal (FNH) is an old-line company with a rep for quality.

Hopefully you can find a 590DA to fondle. Then get whichever one you like more. I'm not aware of any problems or shortcomings with either. People have personal preferences in what they like in a shotgun, but the only person who matters is you and what you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was someone out there who had handled both of these and could offer an opinion. Still looking for some info on the internal workings of the FNH. I am a novice and am looking to suck up as much information as I can. I have seen some terms that I am not entirely familiar with, under some of the listings for the FNH. These include "Internal Tactical Choke (ITC)" and "Rotary Bolt." If anyone could point me to a link that explains these terms fully I would appreciate it. I also noticed that the trigger on the FNH sits forward like the one on the Moss 590DA. Does this mean it is also a double action? In the meantime I will continue to scour these forums for information.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the FNH is a slightly modified Winchester 1300 if that helps...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello there WILD Deuce welcome to our shotgun world tactical shotgun forum hope you enjoy visiting here and hope you make this one of the places you like to visit when you surf the internet for this is one of the friendlyist places to visit on the net.This is one the best places for tactical shotgun stuff and for that matter shotgun stuff in gneeral good place to read what others have to say and to just shoot the bull if you know what I mean and just have a good time.
Anyways I `ll see if i can help you a little on your question now firstly you question on the rotary bolt well if you have served in the military and have primarily used M-16 rifles they use a rotary bolt system.So o n the winchester defender and the FNH law enforcement shotguns use the same system a rotary bolt only it`s bigger and little beefier(bigger) than that used on the M-16. But basically does the same thing when it works except if works on a manually operated pump action shotgun where as on the M-16 it works in an auto loading system.
Now on the ITC or internal tactical choke the only thing that basically means is this is what is already installed on that particular model of shotgun to start with and it is primarily meant to be use in a tactical setting and that is how much it`s choke constriction is set for. Like with some of this companies other law enforcement models come with 2 interchangeable chokes, improved cylinder and modified so you could switch between the different chokes to get the desired shot pattern constriction that you would prefer.Or in other words how tight or loose you desire your pattern to be.

Well I hope this helps you out some and hope you enjoy comming to our shotgun world forum and become a regula shotgun world forum member like I said before good place to see whats going on and to leran things about shotguns and just to see what others have to say .

Hope you and all our other fellow shotgun world members have a good day catch yall later.......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just to confirm what silversport said: I was looking through some back issues of Police Magazine and found a review of FN's Police Shotgun (a less tricked-out version of the shotgun you're looking at) in the November 2002 issue. In short: FN, Browning, and Winchester are all part of a conglomerate of firearms companies - the Herstal Group. In fact, the FN Police is a slightly modified Winchester 1300 Defender that is actually manufactured by Winchester.
Lifting directly from the article:

"The FN Police Shotgun is essentially a [Winchester] Model 1300 Defender shotgun, with some modifications.....blah blah....has adjustable rifle-like sights....blah blah....the inclusion of two screw-in chokes allows users to tune the choke for the best performance with slugs and/or buckshot. If you read the spec sheet for the Winchester Defender and the FN Police Shotgun, they are identical, and that's not a bad thing. The Winchester Model 1300 has established a reputation for affordability and reliability. The Defender's action has become famous for its smooth operation. The rotating bolt opens cleanly, allowing the slide to be worked easily and quickly. Upon closing, the face of the bolt rotates slightly, bringing the locking bolts into contact with those in the barrel."

In short, the FNH Police Tactical Shotgun is a tricked-out Winchester 1300 Defender. Find a Winchester 1300 Defender (a relatively easy proposition). If you like or dislike its action, I suspect that you would feel the same about the FNH Police Tactical.
P.S. The FNH/Win 1300 is NOT "double action" like the 590DA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This site is the best. Familyman, thank you for all of the information. It has been very helpful and I appreciate the effort put into answering this poor newbie's questions. Thanks a lot. A big thank you to Omega and Silver also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.