Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, a friend of mine has a mossberg 500. the problem is , that when you are cycling or "pumping" it, shell only comes out of the mag tube every once in a while. not everytime like it should. maybe 4-5 out of the 8 shells it holds come out normally. i have completely taken it apart, inspected all the parts of the action, cleaned and lubed it, and put it back together.

i then proceeded to cycle 8 dummy rounds through it over and over again, carefully watching all the moving parts that i could, and i noticed that the shell stops are not retracting to let the shells out of the mag tube.

is there anything i can do to fix this? or is this something that needs to be taken to the gunsmith?

thanks,
John

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know of two 500's that have a different problem with feeding. Both bought Nov/Dec timeframe.

Upon recoil, the feed latch is triggered and the next round is ejected to the ground before the loading tray comes down for it.

Here's my off the wall guess, the feed latch in my case is doesn't stickout enough, and ODJ's is sticking out too much. Maybe the mass produced latches were once joined and the cut is off center??? Just my silly theory, knowing nothing about their mass production techniques.

Didn't think a tried and true 500 could be messed up, something changed. My 1972 version is going strong...

Cheers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update! i finally got it fixed. after a ton of inspecting it over and over again. the shell stop that rests behind the first shell in the mag tube to stop the second one from coming out had become slightly bent, and developed a small burr that was sticking to the first shell. so some plyers and a file did the trick !! gun pumps and cycles great now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.