Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used Mossberg 500 and the magazine spring squeaks when shells are inserted. Any advice on oiling this? Is this normal??? Thanks...

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
They all make noise to some degree, but some are worse that others. I think that most of the noise comes from the follower and not too much from the spring. You can try a very light coat of grease on the spring and follower and perhaps replace the follower with an aftermarket solid plastic type. The solid follower will quite things down quite a bit.

Report back and let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Quite right there. Also because it is a used gun and you may not be aware of the history, cleaning the magazine tube isn't a bad idea. You may have a buildup of rust, dirt and who knows what in there.

It's been a while since I have unscrewed the magazine tube on one of my 500's, but from what I remember I was suprised with what I found when I did.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Thomas Krupinski said:
Quite right there. Also because it is a used gun and you may not be aware of the history, cleaning the magazine tube isn't a bad idea. You may have a buildup of rust, dirt and who knows what in there.

It's been a while since I have unscrewed the magazine tube on one of my 500's, but from what I remember I was suprised with what I found when I did.
Tom is exactly right - always check the magazine tube and spring on a used gun.

I bought a used Remington 11-48 semi-auto earlier this year (gun made in 1954), and when I removed the magazine spring - it was kinked and bent up. I ordered a replacement to insure reliable cycling, and cleaned 50+ years worth of crud out of the mag tube.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine squeaked right out of the box, luckily the ported barrel is so loud that you can't hear the squeaks and rattles of the Mossberg, because it makes you deaf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts