Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
They all make noise to some degree, but some are worse that others. I think that most of the noise comes from the follower and not too much from the spring. You can try a very light coat of grease on the spring and follower and perhaps replace the follower with an aftermarket solid plastic type. The solid follower will quite things down quite a bit.

Report back and let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Quite right there. Also because it is a used gun and you may not be aware of the history, cleaning the magazine tube isn't a bad idea. You may have a buildup of rust, dirt and who knows what in there.

It's been a while since I have unscrewed the magazine tube on one of my 500's, but from what I remember I was suprised with what I found when I did.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Thomas Krupinski said:
Quite right there. Also because it is a used gun and you may not be aware of the history, cleaning the magazine tube isn't a bad idea. You may have a buildup of rust, dirt and who knows what in there.

It's been a while since I have unscrewed the magazine tube on one of my 500's, but from what I remember I was suprised with what I found when I did.
Tom is exactly right - always check the magazine tube and spring on a used gun.

I bought a used Remington 11-48 semi-auto earlier this year (gun made in 1954), and when I removed the magazine spring - it was kinked and bent up. I ordered a replacement to insure reliable cycling, and cleaned 50+ years worth of crud out of the mag tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.