Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shooting quail, it's important to be able to hear the quail take flight quickly because there isn't much time to react and shoot. I currently have a shotgun that is not too load to use without ear plugs. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Mossberg 500's which now come with ported barrels. Ported barrel usually make the shotguns loader. I have one older shotgun that is severely ported an cannot be shot without hearing protection. Was wondering on the loadness scale how bad the new Mossberg 500's are. Can they be shot without hearing protection and without ringing your ears(assuming you still have good hearing).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ehhhh, What was that you said, I can't hear ya.

I have a Moss. 500 with ported barrel, I wish it was not ported at all.
I always try to wear hearing protection whan shooting it, even when using it to hunt with.
I have shot it while hunting with out hearing protection and it's not to bad for just a few shots but I would prefer to have it without porting at all. Always wear hearing protection if you can.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You could easily pick up a pair of electronic hearing protectors for between 100 and 200 bucks. The allow you to hear sound amplified and then cut out when there is a load noise (shotgun blast). Some of them are even in stereo. A cheap solution to saving your hearing and still being able to hear the bird flush!!

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Ported barrels and duck blinds or goose pits just do not work. We outlawed them at our club years ago.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
i own a mossberg 500 and amongst all the barrels i got for it the 28" accu-choke barrel is ported but i aint really noticed much increase in loudness over non ported barrels but what i do like bout the porting is that yea the shot may loosea bit of power but with a long 28" barrel and the porting it makes the recoil very weak and i can get back on target quicker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure about the 500's,....but when I shoot a 3 1/2's out of my 835 ulti mag.......I don't hear anything at all... adrenaline rush i guess.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
tom626 said:
When shooting quail, it's important to be able to hear the quail take flight quickly because there isn't much time to react and shoot. I currently have a shotgun that is not too load to use without ear plugs. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Mossberg 500's which now come with ported barrels. Ported barrel usually make the shotguns loader. I have one older shotgun that is severely ported an cannot be shot without hearing protection. Was wondering on the loadness scale how bad the new Mossberg 500's are. Can they be shot without hearing protection and without ringing your ears(assuming you still have good hearing).
LOUD AS S#!+...I suggest looking into www.walkersgameear.com/ask.asp
www.earinc.com
or a similar product.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.