Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, 2-part noob question, I know. Part 1: does my 590 Mariner have a rifled barrel or a non-rifled barrel? Part 2: if I want to use slugs do I use rifled or sabot?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I've never seen a rifled-bore Marinecote (nickel-plate finish) barrel, now that's not saying that they didn't make one... the easiest way to tell if you have a rifled-bore or a smooth bore is to take off your barrel and hold it up to a light and look down the barrel. If you see the lands & grooves, it's rifled, if not it's a smooth bore...

If it's a smooth bore you should use "Foster" style (rifled) slugs, if it's a rifled barrel you should use sabot-style.

You CAN shoot sabot's in a smooth bore but accuracy will suffer.

Smitty

·
Registered
937 Posts
Muddyemms said:
Smitty in CT said:
If it's a smooth bore you should use "Foster" style (rifled) slugs, if it's a rifled barrel you should use sabot-style.
If it is a true smoothbore, try the Federal Truball slugs. They're rather accurate and they're relatively inexpensive.
Or the Remington 'Slugger' foster type slugs.
They are incredibly accurate in my old smoothbore slug barrels.

They aren't as cheap (inexpensive) as they used to be.
I bought a BUNCH of these (enough to fill a 50 cal. ammo can) a few years ago, for less than $1.50 per box of 5!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.