Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hope somebody can help. I was preparing to clean my Mossberg 590 Shotgun by unscrewing the magazine cap. When I shook the gun to loosen the barrel, a small spring (about the size of a ballpoint pen spring) and a small silver pin (with a conical tip) fell out. I have a small picture I can send to someone if needed.
I checked the Owner's Manual and their parts breakdown doesn't seem to get into that level of detail.
I'm afraid to shoot it for two reasons. 1) Safety, and 2) I don't want to harm anything on the shotgun.
Can someone either help me out to understand where these may have dropped out of? OR....I was looking for a decent website that has clear detailed schematics with no luck.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Kodiak

·
Registered
388 Posts
look on the barrel and see if there is a small hole in the front of the ring that goes around the magazine tube. sounds like its the detent that keeps the mag cap from unscrewing on its own. Pop it back in a peen around it to hold it in. would be my guess anyway....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VAByrd said:
look on the barrel and see if there is a small hole in the front of the ring that goes around the magazine tube. sounds like its the detent that keeps the mag cap from unscrewing on its own. Pop it back in a peen around it to hold it in. would be my guess anyway....
Thanks for that reply. I will check it out. Doesn't sound too serious if that's the case.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kingjoey said:
Yeah, sounds like the detent for the mag cap.
Hey everyone. Thats exactly what it was. I was a little confused by the term peen, but the spring slipped right in and then the pin (detent?) with the conical shape facing up to lock into the teeth of the magazine cap. However, it appears that it doesn't (or won't) peen in or stay in. (Or I am just not understanding that term) It looks like it just slips out if you unscrew the magazine cap. Which is ok as it seems it will do the job of locking the cap from unscrewing itself during shooting. I just need to remember that when I take it down for cleaning next time. Either that or I need to look on the floor for a sleeve perhaps?

Thanks again for the replies. This was obviously the right place to come for advice and I really appreciate the help.

Regards,

Kodiak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One last comment.
Apparently Mossberg 590's have somewhat of a Quality Control problem. I figured out what the peening is all about. Slightly peening the metal on the ring helps prevent the spring and detent from popping out.

My search on google was:
"mag cap detent for mossberg 590"

One result was:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 13825.html

Only after learning the terminology did I find better results as above.

Aside from that one issue, my experience with this shotgun
has been very good.

Thanks again.

Kodiak

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.