Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 590DA (double action) with a 20" barrel. It is a straight through barrel, with no choke screwed into the end, however Mossberg calls the barrel a modified choke. What does that mean? Is it machined "modified"?
Can all types of shot be fired through it, steel, lead, and slugs?? It is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3" shells.
The manual does not specify what shot can't be used.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've got a maverick 88 with a factory mod. choke and i've been told that everything can be shot through it. you might want to see what some of the other guys on here say, thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The barrel itself is choked Modified (therefore no additional choke tube). From least constricted to most constricted, chokes go: Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified, Improved Modified, and Full. To put this in perspective, Cylinder has no constriction while Full is constricted (if I remember correctly) 0.039 inch. In short, all shot loads are OK. I know that slugs are OK in my Improved Cylinder shotgun and I am about 90% sure that slugs are only an issue in Full choked shotguns. Now you have me wondering.... :? can someone out there give a definitive answer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a similar question when I started shooting. If I remember correctly, here is the answer.
Cylinder: Slugs OK
Skeet: unknown
Improved Cylinder:Slugs OK (no 100% sure)
Modified: NO Slugs
Improved Modified: NO Slugs
Full: NO Slugs

My recommendation is not to use slugs in anything but a Cyl. Choke. I would post this in the main forum though, someone there will be able to tell you 100% certain.

Dirk/Guardian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello there hope yall are having a gready day.Anyways ways on your question yes you can shot slugs through it for all mossbergs shotguns that are police and military type or the home defense type if you want to call it that are set up so you can use both buckshot and slugs through them. Now what I would do though just to make sure and be extra safe better safe then sorry is call mossberg and ask for one of their technical personel and ask them and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak just to make double for sure.Now another thing I do know with though even witha little chock constriction do`nt get one of thoes weird speciality slugs like i know this one forgot what compny makes them but they are call the trident it come of of like a sabot that it is loaded into the slug with and that thing will catch even on the least about of constriction they are only to be use from just a cylinder bored barrel only. It has like 3 prongs on it so the trident nickname fits but forget who makes them only seen a few of them when a frinend of mine broke some out to use and they look real nastyand he used a couple of them and then on the third one it got hung up on his shotguns chock and he was using inproved cylindewr so not very much constriction there but it still hung up . But now other then that they looked like they would be very effective and nasty at anti -personel use if you know what I mean.
Anyways if you use just basic plain jaine regular shotgun slugs and buckshot and birshot shotgun shells you should be a -ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.