Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local guy has got an externally decent-looking 590 Mariner for $300 cash sale. First-hand, looks boat/truck/trunk used/handled/stored with reasonable slightly overall scuffed marks but nothing you shouldn't/couldn't embrace based on asking price.

Pump action surely isn't as slick as 870P or WingMasters, but mostly reasonably (~Express) OK and doesn't hang up. Cycles and dry (pin-marking) fires dummy rounds fine.
But after disassembly, the 20" barrel fit needs some "maneuvering" to get barrel hoop to easily slide onto & down mag tube so all plug threads clear AND readily fitting into receiver without semi retracting bolt.
When I look at the bottom of barrel, I do see (significant?) wear from fit/action of pump assembly rearward cross member against/into bottom of barrel:

Now, I'm a long-seasoned trained, practiced, hands-on-tweaking 870 shooter (but not a pro gunny) and, while I won't deny newer Expresses often have some quality issues, I've never seen the likes of this in anything Big Green; ever. So I'm asking for experienced Mossy advice, 'cause I'm wondering if this barrel and/or mag tube hasn't somehow gotten misaligned into the aluminum receiver to yield this apparent wear and/or misfit?
Run away like Hell? Buy it for $250 and it'll be functionally OK (along with the other expected Mossy rattles :wink:) ? Or just $325 flip it to my ex's 5th-in-as-many-years boy friend: shock: ?

If you have applicable first-hand Mossberg experience (please don't just bash), please lemme know what you know/think.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ah, now I see (couldn't view your picture before).

When I look at the bottom of barrel, I do see (significant?) wear from fit/action of pump assembly rearward cross member against/into bottom of barrel:
That's not wear; Mossberg barrels (for at least 590s and 835s) come from the factory like that. Take a look at a few of mine:

Other than messing around to install the heat-shield and pumping the gun several hundred times, the barrel with heatshield in the picture is actually factory new; all the scratches are just me.

But after disassembly, the 20" barrel fit needs some "maneuvering" to get barrel hoop to easily slide onto & down mag tube so all plug threads clear AND readily fitting into receiver without semi retracting bolt.
Sounds pretty normal on my guns; although it shouldn't take you more than a few moments once you get good at it, and once together the fit should be firm.

Mossbergs are what I would term a "working man's gun". I don't really worry about the little scratches. For $250 OR $325 this is a steal. I'd probably pick it up just for resell value at 250. My opinion anyway. I passed up one of these for $330 a few years ago and have been regretting it ever since.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I see wear at the breach end of the barrel. I have seen barrels fit with a little bit of loctite believe it or not, and from my factory new 20ga. The barrel is going to locate at the shell ejector, the ejector portion being visible when the bolt is back, but the front of that piece is flat and sits in a groove in the barrel. Without it the barrel will spin. You might want to check for wear on that piece. it's not a game changer if it's worn and they are cheap to replace. Hell, I'll send you one if you need it. The barrel is locked by the bolt when it is in battery so that is of more concern. The barrel should lock down tight with the barrel cap. Even when new the Mossbergs can be fairly loose in a number of ways.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate you gents putting to rest my concerns on MY FIRST Mossy; yes, for $260 she's mine as of an hour ago, along with 2 boxes of Federal PFC154-00 buck thrown in. Score!
In hindsight I'm an idiot for thinking that she'd cycle with that much wear=resistance against bottom of barrel...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.