Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At twice the cost of the mossberg, why would I want to buy the beretta 3901? I've shouldered both and both fit me quite well. I like that the beretta is a bit lighter, but like that the mossberg has a little thicker forend.

Beretta has unquestionable reliability, but mossberg is far from junk.

I have an 870 that I will use for hunting and home defense, so this auto will be for all things orange and all things made of clay

Explain to me why I should spend the more money for the beretta, or walk away with a mossberg 930 and powder that clay from sunup to sunset.

PS is it coincidence that mossberg uses the same numbers as beretta except in differnt order??? hmm....are the actions and gas systems similar???

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
exdxgxe4life said:
At twice the cost of the mossberg, why would I want to buy the beretta 3901?

Beretta has unquestionable reliability, but mossberg is far from junk.
During 2007 and 2008, quite a few shooters at my local range traded away their Beretta 391s due to poor reliability and quality problems. I shot with one fellow who went through two defective Urika 2 models, before giving up entirely. Every manufacturer churns out lemons - Beretta, Remington, Browning, and yes, Mossberg. Although the 391 is the most popular autoloader among today's competition shooters, most of those guns have extensive aftermarket modifications.

Having said that, the Beretta 3901 Statesman may be the best value in their current line-up. However, if you like both guns equally, maybe just buy the less expensive one?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have both and both have been great guns for me. As far as price, I paid $339 for the 930 and $454 for the 3901 Statesman 20 gauge (Dick's clearanced it out for some reason, plus $80 back in scorecard points) :lol:

So for me, they were the same price.

As far as is the 3901 being twice the gun, I would say no. Both have been great guns for me and never failed to cycle a shell meant for an autoloader. Only one that failed in the Mossberg, also failed in every other semi I have. I forget what they were, but it said on the box something about not for semis. :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad I wasn't missing anything...once the wife gives approval I'm going for the mossy in wood or camo (pending price).

I'm sure the beretta is nice, but FYI for all those reading this...save the $$$ and take your wife out to dinner thanking her for letting you get your (insert # of guns you own).

:mrgreen:

Thanks yall!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
exdxgxe4life said:
I'm glad I wasn't missing anything...once the wife gives approval I'm going for the mossy in wood or camo (pending price).

I'm sure the beretta is nice, but FYI for all those reading this...save the $$$ and take your wife out to dinner thanking her for letting you get your (insert # of guns you own).

:mrgreen:

Thanks yall!!!
Well, I forgot to add, I bought the 930 for myself and the 3901 for the wife. . .what's a better birthday present than a brand new gun. :lol:

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
The 930 is decent for it's price and I'd take it over some other models that are similar in price. The 3901 is better in terms of quality and that is were most of your dollars will go towards. Being lighter in weight is also an advantage as you can add weight inexpensively and easiely if you want. Not so the other way around, though the 930 is not a tank by any means. The 3901 also come with an automatic magazine cutoff.

The 930 comes with a thumb safety which some love or hate.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Just to stir the pot some more, I just saw that my local Sports Authority store has the Beretta 3901 Statesman (high gloss walnut/blued receiver) on clearance for $649.97. That's a great deal on a new Beretta, considering that version is often $850+ elsewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WinM12 said:
Just to stir the pot some more, I just saw that my local Sports Authority store has the Beretta 3901 Statesman (high gloss walnut/blued receiver) on clearance for $649.97. That's a great deal on a new Beretta, considering that version is often $850+ elsewhere.
Pick it up for me!!!

:( too bad nothing like that around me...I've checked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.