Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at adding a semiauto to the collection and was really leaning towards the FN then mossy comes along with the SPX. Push is now a shove and I want a new one ASAP.

I have held them both but not able to do a side by side comparison. I like to use my weapons so functionality and reliability and durability are very important to me. This will be a HD as well as a 3 gun shooter for me.

I like the mobility of both the SPX and SLP 18" also considering the SLP MK 1 22" for an extra round.

I appreciate the boards thoughts, THANKS!

BTW: The price difference for me in NE Ohio is about $250 more for the FN, I would love to spend that on ammo and other stuff, but will pony up for the FN if it makes better sense in the long run.

·
Registered
803 Posts
They are both excellent guns the FN maybe a little better and it offers more. It has choke tubes.

Good Advice! If you want a FN 18" SLP get it now because the ones that are left after the ban are going to increase in price after the first of the year. They will be selling for a $1000 or more. The used guns will go up also. I know because one of my suppliers has 125 new guns in stock and they want $922 dealer cost with out shipping cost.

GC

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the SLP in the Mark I variant and I love it. Like you, I have been trying to decide between the 18 FN and the Mossy SPX for a shorter shotgun. I have read several evaluation threads on here in reference to the 930 and most of it has been good with a few occasional problems. I also lean toward the FN, like one of our other posters already mentioned, becaue it comes threaded and with three different choke tubes. From what i understand, the Mossy does not have the option, though I may be wrong.

I have never had a failure of any kinds with the FN with probably about 1200 rounds through it to date and it cycles fast as all heck. The one downside for me is the different gas tubes for different weight shells. If you stick to the same shells most of the time it should't be a problem. However, if you like to stack multiple types of shells in the same mag then it is something to consider.

It sounds like they are both pretty good shotguns so you will probably win either way you go. Good luck and let everyone know which way you decided to go.

Jason

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jwinch2 said:
...The one downside for me is the different gas tubes for different weight shells...
That sounds like a major PITA!! What happens when you want to switch from 2-3/4" low-recoil buckshot to 3" magnum slugs with threats in the area?? "Oh, sorry BG, can you wait while I change my my gas tube...." :lol:

I'll stick with my 930SPX (load, safety off, pull trigger, BANG regardless of load type), I haven't needed choke tubes, this gun is primarily for HD, so the distances will be well with ing the gun's range...

If you need chokes, have the barrel threaded for $50.... you'll still be $300 bucks ahead...

Smitty

·
Registered
137 Posts
Smitty in CT said:
jwinch2 said:
...The one downside for me is the different gas tubes for different weight shells...
That sounds like a major PITA!! What happens when you want to switch from 2-3/4" low-recoil buckshot to 3" magnum slugs with threats in the area?? "Oh, sorry BG, can you wait while I change my my gas tube...." :lol:

I'll stick with my 930SPX (load, safety off, pull trigger, BANG regardless of load type), I haven't needed choke tubes, this gun is primarily for HD, so the distances will be well with ing the gun's range...

If you need chokes, have the barrel threaded for $50.... you'll still be $300 bucks ahead...
All very good points. I think it is worth pointing out however, that multiple people have had problems with the 930 and its reliability, both on here as well as other forums. I haven't had a chance to shoot the 930 but reports like that from more than one source cause me to have concerns when considering a weapon for home defense. It may be the worlds best shotgun but things like that raise red flags for me.

I am in complete agreement with you that the idea of switching gas tubes is not something that i would want to deal with in the middle of a bad situation which is why I brought it up in my earlier posts. However, that can be easily remedied as well by just using the same type of shells or making sure your shells stay under the recommeded weight for the tube. I have had absolutely no problems cycling multuple types of shells, and currently alternate hevishot self defence T shot with their 00 buck dead coyote load.

Like I said, all of your points were good ones and something to consider when trying to decide on which shotgun to get.

·
Registered
803 Posts
On the SLP, the gas tube designed for the 2.75" shells should cycle the 3" shells also but the gas tube for 3" magnum shells will not cycle the medium to light 2.75" shells. That is the way it is on my Turkish semi auto shotgun. On it you can flip the gas tube over for magnum shells and the felt recoil will be less. My Turkish made H&R Excel Auto 5 will cycle any load while using the regular 2.75" shell gas tube. The magnum gas tube is a nice feature when you plan to use just magnum shells.

My Mossberg 930 SPX has been very reliable so far no malfunctions what so ever.

GC

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jwinch2 said:
... I think it is worth pointing out however, that multiple people have had problems with the 930 and its reliability, both on here as well as other forums. I haven't had a chance to shoot the 930 but reports like that from more than one source cause me to have concerns when considering a weapon for home defense. It may be the worlds best shotgun but things like that raise red flags for me.....Like I said, all of your points were good ones and something to consider when trying to decide on which shotgun to get.
Out of all of the malfunctions reported about the 930 (all variants), I have only seen three or four that were not initial cleaning / lubrication related. If you can point out more, I'd love to know about them. Do a search on the SX-2 and the FN and you will find as many if not more issues...

Smitty

·
Registered
45 Posts
MAX100 said:
They are both excellent guns the FN maybe a little better and it offers more. It has choke tubes.

Good Advice! If you want a FN 18" SLP get it now because the ones that are left after the ban are going to increase in price after the first of the year. They will be selling for a $1000 or more. The used guns will go up also. I know because one of my suppliers has 125 new guns in stock and they want $922 dealer cost with out shipping cost.

GC
Which ban would you be referring to? They are still being imported. I dont know where people are getting the wrong info, But I personally emailed FN and asked them and they said it was not true.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information good info for all. I am happy this thread picked up steam.

I had heard that FN was going to assemble the SLP stateside to be compliant with new or future regs.

I do need to recheck my FN pricing if the delta is now closer to $400 from $250. My decision has been made its the 930.

Sure would be nice to have both! :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why would you want choke tubes on a HD gun? One less thing to worry about coming loose, getting stuck etc. If you want to use the gun for sporting purposes, then get a 28 or 30" barrel for the gun with choke tubes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is your main use going to be HD or 3 gun ? If HD then no choke tubes is not a problem. If 3 gun is your main usage then being able to change choke tubes does have its advantages. I have been shooting my SPX since mid Sept. in 2 gun matches. So far only 1 other shooter is using a SPX so field reports are not going to be many with the gun just beginning to be used in 3 gun and 2 gun matches. By the use of different ammos you should be able to over come the NO choke tubes on the SPX. Whichever one you go with just remember there is no subsitute for trigger time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.