Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1998 I walked into Walmart in Southwest Austin to buy a shotgun for dove hunting. I fixed on a Mossberg 500 with 28" Vent Rib Accuchoke barrel and gave the princely sum of $179.99 + tax for it.

In the intervening years I used it for bird hunting, clay target shooting, snake/possum/feral cat eradication. I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of all kinds of loads through it over the years and it never failed to fire, eject or chamber. When I wasn't hunting with it I kept it loaded with 3" 00 for home defense (28" barrel and all).

A few years ago my agency sent me to firearms instructor school so I went to Cabela's and picked up an 18.5" barrel for the Mossberg and it went to school with me. We shot a whole bunch of birdshot, buckshot and slugs and I learned a lot of new stuff that I hadn't learned 10 years or more prior when I last had any shotgun training. I learned that I wanted a sling so I made one out of tubular webbing and some hardware I had left over from another project.

This forum let me know that I wanted a light mounted on the gun as well. I bought a TLR-1
and a Streamlight magazine tube mount and put it on the Mossberg.

I've put a lot more rounds through the gun in the past few years and have run a lot of drills. Every time we have a range day I work with my shotgun between officers showing up to qualify. The sling and light that I have on the gun now have yet to give me any problems.

Thanks to this forum I was turned on to the Federal Tactical 00 and have used it excusively ever since.

A few months ago I noticed that the magazine spring was starting to get pretty weak. Thanks to the generosity of a forum member a spring showed up in the mail and I put it in the gun. A few weeks after that the generosity of another forum member resulted in a 3 Gun Gear 7 round velcro sidesaddle showing up in my mailbox. Unfortunately the field model forearm on my shotgun wouldn't clear the sidesaddle.

This week I completely disassembled the shotgun and cleaned all the inside parts. I cut down, reshaped, stripped, and refinished the forearm to clear the sidesaddle. As long as I was refinishing I cut down the buttstock and stripped and refinished it. All I'm lacking is some kind of new butt plate and I'll probably just pick up a plastic one at a gun show and shape it to fit.

So here it is almost all finished. I'm still considering a metal safety and a BigDot.

And within seconds I can put the long barrel on it and head out for doves, ducks, turkeys or whatever.

I've gone back and forth on the idea of sending the man his money so I can cut the barrel down even with the magazine tube. Who knows what the future will hold?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Nice looking shotgun there Sjohnny! I should have a nice slightly worn used Mossberg showing up at my FFL next week. :D

I am also starting to like the wood furniture also. Will be looking around for some for mine once I get it in my sweaty hands and shoot it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thats set up almost exactly like my 590. Different sling and light mount. I also put my light at 0430 as I can reach it better.

The 3gungear side saddle has the thickest elastic ive seen on any shell holder, Awsome. Better then the SKD esstac cards even. Ive been making some with cut up bandoleers and industrial strength velcro but they are not as nice. I keep my mag pouches loaded but the 3gungear is on the 590.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Recoil pads are nice but not necessary. The woman friend has a Mosin Nagant and it has a solid metal butt plate, some of the shotguns we had up in washington were old Mossbergs with sold plastic butt plates. The only problem I've ever had shooting any of them is if I don't shoulder it properly. Being a relatively skinny dude, don't have a lot of coverage on my collar bones and one time during some rapid fire, one of those old mossbergs slipped off my shoulder and onto my bicep. That wasn't particularly enjoyable.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
L.J. Smith said:
Looks good. Any problems with the light mount slipping under recoil?
None. I've had it on there for about two years now and I've put a lot of rounds through it in that time. I've dropped it a couple of times also. No slippage whatsoever.

alt154shiver said:
Being a relatively skinny dude, don't have a lot of coverage on my collar bones ....
How can he be so skinny and live so phat?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I'm happy with how it's going. It was a little nerve racking putting both pieces in the chop saw (not at the same time) but it worked fine.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
About an inch and a half or two inches. I just marked it even with the receiver when it was all the way back and put it in my chop saw. Then I reshaped the sharp edges with sandpaper before I stripped off the finish.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.