Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I finally got a chance to go put some rounds through this after the mods. It handles a lot better with the shorter stock but the edges are a little uncomfortable on my shoulder. Still need to get a plastic buttplate for it.

The side saddle works really well. I'll need some time with it to get smooth but I have to admit I do like having those extra rounds right there on the side of the gun. The angle is pretty comfortable for me. I may eventually get a card that holds them straight up and down to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
sjohnny said:
About an inch and a half or two inches. I just marked it even with the receiver when it was all the way back and put it in my chop saw. Then I reshaped the sharp edges with sandpaper before I stripped off the finish.
That's pretty much the same procedure that I did on my stoeger, except that I used a handsaw in order to follow some of the curved lines on the forend (plastic forend with molded in ribs)

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This worked out that the cut didn't affect any of the indentations or whatever.

I think I'm going to take another 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the stock before I put a buttplate on it.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Today I put the stock through the chop saw again. It's at 11 15/16" LOP now and it feels awesome when I throw it up to my shoulder (I guess that makes me a dwarf). Next time I get a chance to go to a gunshow I'll pick up a random plastic buttplate and we'll be done for now.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I picked up a used rubber buttpad at a gun shop in the freakin ghetto in Dallas. I cut it up and reshaped it and put it on the stock. Sidenote: All I wanted was a freakin buttpad and when I gave a halfassed explanation the gunsmith at the store tried to argue with me that I had cut my stock too short. I didn't want to get into it with him but he wouldn't let it go.

I actually had this all together a few months ago but here is the "finished" product. The only things I can think of that I may still do are changing out the safety and throwing a big dot on there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That looks great. I have just recently done to my 500 what you did. I had the 28" barrel and managed to get a never used 18.5" barrel in trade for some ammo and $30. Then I stripped off the finish and re-stained it. After putting on a 6 round side saddle, I had to cut the forend a little so it would clear. Then I got a grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pad and cut the stock down an inch, which fits me perfect now. For Christmas, my wife got me this front site and I put it on last night. It is this site.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight- ... tguns.html

It fits pretty well although when I got it screwed down there was a very tiny gap between the bottom of the site and the barrel. I used some Loctite when I put in and then filled the gap with a little bit of JB Weld. I really like the dot as it is big and is filled with tritium so it will show up in the dark. Next week I will be getting my TLR-1s and the Laserlyte tri rail that I will mount basically the same way you have yours mounted. I am also considering securing a small section of rail to the forend and then mounting the light to it, but I haven't decided yet.

I absolutely love the way this gun is set up now. When I just saw your's I had to post about what I did to mine as it was very similar. I will include a write up of mine when it is done. I still also plan on replacing the spring, follower, and safety on mind.

Nice work on your 500!

·
Registered
200 Posts
jeffcneal said:
Thanks. I'm wondering if a 5 round version towards the rear of the receiver would allow it to work with standard length wood.
On "my" 5 shot the length between arrows(where the velcro is attached) is 5-1/4". You should be ok with a 5-6 (7?) shot. You can make the reciever velcro a little longer so the s/s can be adjusted back if needed.

Or...e-mail Mark and ask him the length's 6-8 s/s's.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.