Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give mine a 7. It shoots every time, handles well and pumps smoothly. My only gripe is that every now and then a shell will get stuck when ejecting. It only seems to happen when I hit the Receiver release to eject unused shells. Still for $250 it's help up pretty darn good and I can recommend it for a starter gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first Mossburg was a "Regal" edition with two barrels:- 28" vent rib barrel with interchangeable chokes- 24" smooth-bore "slug" barrel with rifle sitesI paid $225 for it brand new.My second was made by Mossburg but labeled "Western Field." Paid $100 for it used.I don't recall ever having a stuck shell except when I used some all-plastic shells (no brass for the extractor to grab). I do remember a few double-feed malfunctions, but those were also the same plastic shells. Had the same double feed and extraction problems with my Winchester 1897; when I quit using that brand of ammo - no more problems.I'd rate Mossburg at 8 or 9:- a bit lighter my Win 97- safety is ambidextrous and well located- slide release well located (at least for "righties")- lots of aftermarket accessories available- proven reliablity for two generationsIf only I'd kept that Regal; it was the only one I've ever seen.blessings- werl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding the 500 Hi Rib Trap.I got a barrel at Gunparts and lace on pad to raise the stockcomb. Works great.People are amazed by seeing a Simmons Rib.Those puppys are $400 plus the barrel.I paid $75 for the Mossberg barrel used.a

G

·
Hi, Im 12 and I bought a Mossberg Model 500 Sporting. When I bought it is fitted well although it was and adult style. When I go hunting and where my heavy clothing and my vest ,and I see something I dont have enough time to pull my gun up to my shoulder because the stock is to big. I would have it cut off but later I will grow into it. Where can I buy and find a youth stock for my gun? Also what would be a good scope for my gun when it comes around to Youth Deer Hunt. I need a cheap one ,but yet and acrute one.(barrel). Where can I find a good slug barrel for the same gun?

Please Help, Thank you
Brandon

G

·
Hi, Im 12 and I bought a Mossberg Model 500 Sporting. When I bought it is fitted well although it was and adult style. When I go hunting and where my heavy clothing and my vest ,and I see something I dont have enough time to pull my gun up to my shoulder because the stock is to big. I would have it cut off but later I will grow into it. Where can I buy and find a youth stock for my gun? Also what would be a good scope for my gun when it comes around to Youth Deer Hunt. I need a cheap one ,but yet and acrute one.(barrel). Where can I find a good slug barrel for the same gun?

Please Help, Thank you
Brandon

G

·
Hi Lilshooter,

I emailed Mossberg directly about a similar issue for my son. As you know, they have a youth model of the 500. They told me I could buy the stock or the forearm separately and simply replace the corresponding adult part until my son grew into the gun. You might want to check the mossberg web site to see if you can find the part(s).

Good luck!

Lilshooter said:

Please Help, Thank you
Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts