Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just bought my first shotgun, its a Mossberg 500, with a fully rifled slug barrel. My first question is, can you shoot shot out of a slug barrel?
My second is, is there any difference besides the barrel between lets say, this gun and a mossberg persuader?
I want to build a tactical shotgun, is this a bad base to start one on?
Thank you for your time :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
welcome to the forum :)

i believe you can shoot shot out of a rifled barrel, though i am not 100% postive. the 500 is a good base shotgun. i believe all 12 GA 500's have identical receivers, so other than the barrel you have the same base 500 model. i believe the "persuader" name applies to the 7+1 model 500's that also have a pistol grip and a heat shield. this is the model i have, and it is the only one i have seen called a "persuader."

if you have a longer than 20" barrell you may want to consider getting a 20" smooth bore one, not that longer ones don't work fine either, it's just that the longer barrel can get in the way while manuevering about. you might consider getting a side saddle shell holder &/or a butt stock cuff shell holder to put on the gun to have some extra ammo, again this isn't a neccesity, just a common accesory...

G

·
How does one go about getting an extended mag for the mossberg? I notice there are some out there for the remington, and winchester... :?

·
Registered
38 Posts
as far as mossberg 500's go, there are no magazine extension tubes. ofcourse the standard 7+1 model holds about the same as the 870's and winchester's do with their extension tubes.

5+1 is plenty to handle any realistic home defense situation, but i understand it leaves something to be desired when you know you could have more rounds.

the highest capacity factory mossberg is the 590, it has an 8+1 capacity.

you can get a drum magazine kit for your 500 though. it holds ten rounds, and replaces the magazine tube.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, what if you dont have the 590, is there anyway to get the 590's tube, can it be ordered? Sorry for the questions, im very new to this...
I'd like to have the 8 shot capacity.. is the only way to get this by buying the 590 right off the bat?
Thanks again :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
VanIsle:

You wrote: "I just bought my first shotgun". Buying guns is something like buying computers, the FIRST thing you should do is sit down and write down exactly WHAT you want the gun for. If several things, put them in priority. Then go shopping for the gun that best fits your first priority, and see what can be done to the gun (accessories) to help with your second/third priorities.

NO one guns can be all things to all people and activities.

You wrote: "I want to build a tactical shotgun, is this a bad base to start one on?" Buying the Moss was not a bad base to start--buying the Moss with the rifled slug barrel is not consistant with the desire to build a tactical shotgun--I assume that by tactical you mean home defense. Rifled slug barrels and home defense do not compliment each other--as you now seem to have found.

My advice: start over, sell the one you have and purchase the gun that fits your purpose. My own solution to the needs of home defense was a Moss 500 with 20" bbl and max 8 shot capacity (although 8 is probably 3-4 too many) and a SureFire 623PA light on the end shooting 120 lumens of blinding light. Actually I paid as much for the light as I did the gun. Do not get all hotted up over shot capacity. This is a commom error of new guys-more, more, more shots is not the answer. It is far more important to shoot correctly and accurately that to blast a lot of shells. If you need 6-8 shots for home defense it just confirms that you have failed to learn to shoot a shotgun properly. Practice, practice, practice are the 3 most important words in shotgunning.

If you do see a down the road--or existing need--for the rifled slug barrel, you may want to see if you can simply buy the 20" barrel with the 8 shot capacity and just switch over when you bring the gun home from whatever you use the slug barrel for--just a thought.

Good luck and welcome to the world of shotgunning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome :)
I'd liek to keep the slug barrel, as it would make a decent hunting gun as well, I was just curious if you are able to buy the 20" with the 8 shot tube :?
Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you are asking if you can get a 590 mag tube on a 500, i believe that is impossible. the mag tubes are very different, as well as the ways they attach to the barrel.

do you have the 5+1 500?
if so JMCCOYB is right. huge capacities are a nice bonus, but aren't a realistic neccesity.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion, Mossberg 500 series make a great base model for a HD shotgun, and are able to accept quite a good range of different accessories. I also have one, which I have been quite happy with and have a few accessories on. If the receiver is the same for all 500's, I would imagine you could possibly buy a 7 shot capacity feed tube that would fit it for a 500 persuader, but if you are already having to get a new barrel, and then having to get a new feed tube on top of any extra stuff you want, I'd pretty much agree with JMCCOYB that you should probably think about maybe trading in or selling what you have and buying something already geared a little bit more towards what you were looking for in the first place. Have you already fired it? The store you bought it from might let you just exchange it towards something else that would suit you more if it's still in new condition...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it off a fellow who had it sitting around... He bought it new and hadnt used it yet. It still had the price tag on it :p
I got it for $300 Canadian, so i dont think I got a bad deal.
I've been looking it over, and your right really, nobody needs 8+1 unless there fighting in some jungle... I think this will do just fine :) Anyone know of a good place in Canada to buy a 18.5" barrel?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cabela's sell a Mossberg replacement barrel for the 500 in 20" for US$125. Have no idea if they will ship to Canada. You may have to just shop Canada sources.

That barrel on Ebay looks like quite a deat--if it goes for anywhere near the current bid of $57.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.