Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of positive comments about Mossbergs, along with a few negative ones. How does Mossberg's overall quality (fit & finish, reliability, etc.) stack up against the other major manufacturers?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Slater said:
I've heard a lot of positive comments about Mossbergs, along with a few negative ones. How does Mossberg's overall quality (fit & finish, reliability, etc.) stack up against the other major manufacturers?
Check out this link for some opinions:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=604
Make sure to read all 4 pages... :)

Regards,

·
Registered
61 Posts
If ya don't want to read All 4 pages, the summary might be…

One poster probably said it best with - "Mossberg is today's Utility Shotgun"!!!
And, as Mossberg advertises, it IS a shotgun "Shooting System" with more options and affordability than others, with both factory and aftermarket barrels, parts, options and accessories everywhere!

I have other shotguns(nice ones), but if I'm just goin to the general "Unspecified" field, or hunting, campin or boonies, I'll grab the case with the Mossy 500 field combo everytime! (2 barrels, 3 chokes, the extra barrel in the case in a barrel sock so it wont get banged up - and I'm acceptable, and ready for anything)

Reliability - Superior, A++, cant find any tuffer!
Finish - blue closer to dark navy or black, but polished well enough to be very resistant to corrosion, scratching, and wear. Stocks, not fancy at first, but good hard wood and satin finish that takes a beating Very well - will look better with age than new! Tuff!
Fit - ???, perhaps some parts are pressed or cast rather the being a machined fit. They really smooth out after about 1000 shots thru em. While they do smooth out, I have Never seen one Wear out!

Today's Utility Shotgun - Absolutely! - and Totally Acceptable…
I find theyre really tuff and tolerant of about anything, and they look and perform better with age and service - especially the wood, it actually starts lookin pretty good with a little age (and is very resistant to scratching and dent) …

G

·
While they work and are reliable----DAMN!!! they're nasty----as in ugly to the eye. Kind of like the homely neighbor girl---she sure was fun---but would you want to marry her???

Savage rifles are the same way.

Yes---you can call me shallow-----lol.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I'm on board with our esteemed guest above.
Ugly is bone deep on Mossbergs but I will give them their due on being reliable and rugged. These are the working man's shotgun.

I'm really on board with their new SS1 interchangable system (watch out Thompson Center) it's the working mans T/C G2.
BTW it's still ugly though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Overall evaluation? They work.

I like the center mounted safety. Even if you don't need it to be "ambi" I like the location of it.

I've got two other shotguns that I paid a lot of money for, but the Mossberg is my home defense "it must work every time" gun.

-- Sam

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mossy's aint ugly!
Yea, ya do take the Browning to the CELEBRITY BALL,
but ya could take a Mossy - it ain't all that bad!

They'll do everything and go anywhere,

And get better with age!

Now,
This http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/nova.tpl Is UGLY (to the bone!!!)
(Oops, even their WebSite does't work sometimes - could ya trust their shotguns! - but the link does work, Sometimes...)

G

·
I have hunted with and shot targets with many different brands of shotgun from the very expensive to the downright cheap. When I was first married, in college full-time, starting a family I scraped together enough money to buy a 500 combo. I put that gun through some tough hunting and shooting and it never failed me once. None of those dead animals knew if I was holding a Mossy or a Kolar. That gun never malfunctioned once and I am sure it is probably shooting reliably somewhere today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They maybe alittle rough around the edges. But flat out the best and most versitile shotgun for $$$$$.
And next to a Nova its a work of art :D
There have been mainly positive posts on Novas but man I could never buy one of those nasty lookin things.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was cleaning my 500 today and my wife asked how old it is. I got it when I was in 8th grade and I turned 45 years old yesterday. I still take it as a backup on every foray into the field, and every Dove opener someone shoots a limit with it.
I tried to find the scratch my brother put in it ( I was mad as Hell) but it has faded into a mosaic of dents and scratches from 3 decades of use. The stock still shines, and it works flawlessly.
I have a newer model 835 that has been less reliable,(firring pin and safety) but that 500 is a trooper!

G

·
I own and hunt with a scoped Mossberg 695 . I have owned a variety of pump and single shot shotguns and none have performed as well as my mossberg 695. I think the key for using any firearm is to find the right ammo. that works best with that firearm and practice. not just bench shooting but using real life situations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My grandpa bought me a Mossberg 500 when I was 12. I would hate to guess how many rounds have been through it but it is a good gun....maybe made better by the memories it has given me

Still, I do not think a working man is throwing his money away on a mossberg...mine has never failed me or jammed

G

·
I've owned Remingtons and Mossbergs. Both good guns. I loved both. My preference is the my Mossberg 835. To each his own......God Bless your Hunt.
Buckshoot

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've never seen an elegant prybar or jackhammer, either. Some things don't need to be pretty to work. Lets face it, how much of the gun can you see when you're using it...?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts