Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the opportunity to shoot one yesterday and all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't buy it. The action does not open all the way unless you force it and sometimes it does not close well. I did not like to handle or feel. The wood was OK but the engraving was horrible they should just leave it plain.

Just my 2 cents I expected a little better, but then again, it is $500. IU would rather spend my money on a Bropwning pump or winchester auto (a little more).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Daver,

Apparently, you're not alone in your impressions. Check out some of the threads on the Mossberg board for tales of the firing pins getting snapped off when closing the action and of steel so soft that a sticky extractor lug was able to gouge the standing breech. Mossberg was never in the quality gun market; why they chose to pretend they are with this gun is beyond me. I heard it's actually a Turkish Khan with faux quality treatment. The old adage "You get what you pay for" certainly holds true with the Silver Reserve.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could see that happen with the pin, however it's not even worth the money. Remington sells those spartan, they might be better, also Stoeger and Lanber. I really like Lanber for the money I honestly think that in this range Lanber is the way to go. I was doing all this research before I bought my gun and came to the conclusion that I have to spend a little more to get something that has little chance of letting me down and performs for years to come. I then boought a Browning Gold hunter 12/28. Shooting that mossberg really made me apprieciate my browning so much more! I spent $799 and I'm currently waiting for my $100 rebate. So $699 for a Browning or $550 for mossberg/Kahn. FAHGETTABOWTIT!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
One our new skeet shooters bought one in 28 ga.Halfway thru the second round it would only fire one barrel :oops: Haven't heard from him since.Hate to loose a new shooter because of a faulty gun :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah he was [email protected]#$.Another shooter lent him a 28 to finish that round and he shot one more with the borrowed gun.He could not believe a new gun would break so soon.He calmed down a little but made a remark about having a discusion with the guy who sold it.When he left the club we told him to come back and bring shells- someone would loan him a gun for the afternoon while he was waiting on parts. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
hoashooter said:
One our new skeet shooters bought one in 28 ga.Halfway thru the second round it would only fire one barrel :oops: Haven't heard from him since.Hate to loose a new shooter because of a faulty gun :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nothing unique to Mossberg/Khan there, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If there was any good I am glad it happened here.We are a laid back,help another shooter out club.If this happened where folks laughed or downgraded him or the gun it could have cut his skeet career short.I am proud to belong to our club.We share guns,shells and knowledge.I have run this club for eight years.We are a tight group but welcome new shooters any time :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
hoashooter, thats the type of things I like to hear about gunclubs. Helpful, friendly people, helping others in the sport.

One of the guys that I shoot with had a problem yesterday with his Beretta Gold Tekneys not firing, thought he had broken the firing pin. Was going to drop out of the round, I told him, "here, shoot my O&U an finish the round". I was more than glad to let him use the gun. I'm always glad to help someone. One of these days I might need a little help. :wink:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Good news-his gun was fixed by a local 'smith -----better news there were four 28's waiting for him to shoot!!!!!!He was amazed!!I reckon at some point I take it for granted how close our club is.We help one another as much as possible.We need new shooters regardless of age,experience or background.He ordered a loader and two of us will go over and help him set it up whenever it shows up :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
I reckon the ol' sayin' is true
We will hang together or we will surely hang separatelty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.