Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a chance to buy a 12 gauge pump Mossberg westernfield. With a thumb saftety and that select choke. In perfect condition for 150 dollars. What you guys think?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi there Wesley--

You've come to the right place! Here you will find people with specialized knowledge about shotguns that ranges from hunting, to clay shooting, to gunsmithing, to history. All are willing to help you if you are polite.

Re your purchase: I found a decent-looking one on gunbroker.com for $99, so $150 is a tad on the high side. But hey, be a big spender, keeping in mind, if the seller is a friend, that the old rule applies: "If you can't screw your buddy, who can you screw?" First though, make sure "perfect" is really "perfect." Ask to run a clean patch or two down the bore, get out your trusty bore light or a slip of xerox paper, and look at the bore. If there's any pitting inside the barrel, I'd pass it up (others on here will tell you a bit of pitting is ok--not in my book). Next, make sure the polychoke actually works and isn't bent or frozen. and finally, cycle the action a few times and shine a penlight in there. If you see a bunch of conglobulated goo that the owner put there when he stored it back on December 7th, a day that will live in infamy, you're going to have to clean it all out of there, dude. Does the gun come with an instruction manual that describes a full field-strip? CFP Break Free, often recommended by my friend JLPTexashunter, is good stuff, as is choke cleaner. (I'll catch it for that, but on an old shotgun action, choke cleaner is fine). Do NOT put WD40 on a gun, because WD40 has water in it.

This shotgun will provide you with a serviceable field and hunting weapon. You will likely not tear up the trap and skeet club with it. Don't expect more of it than it's capable of and it'll be dandy. Plus, it has "character," that indefineable something that will make your hunting buddies edge away nervously when they first see you carrying it, a crazed glint in your eye. LAst but NOT least, TAKE A GUN SAFETY COURSE! I don't care if you were in the French Foreign Legion, we ALL need a brush up and we ALL need to think safety 24/7, me included, mon ami.

Good luck, post back, and let us know how it all goes. Be reasonable and you're going to have a great time.

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Good advice Jeff23,
But I'll have you know that BreakFree CLP is also a fine aphrodesiac.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah, so THAT explains what's been going on around here since I switched to CLP for cleaning! And I thought my wife just admired me for my prowess as a hunter :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts