Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Operators,

I realize that there is a current thread regarding ammo, but I'd like to ask a more specific question(s).

I'm participating in a training class that will require the following ammo:

#7-1/2" or larger birdshot (200 rnds)
00 buck (50 rnds)
slug (50 rnds)

This obviuosly does not need to be LE, tactical or magnum stuff, just relaible and inexpensive.

I'll be running a Mossy 590a1.

Any thoughts, reccomendations, etc.? Also, any 590a1 owners who can share any wisdom regarding this model.

As always, thank you for your input.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Batt501 said:
Operators,

I realize that there is a current thread regarding ammo, but I'd like to ask a more specific question(s).

I'm participating in a training class that will require the following ammo:

#7-1/2" or larger birdshot (200 rnds)
00 buck (50 rnds)
slug (50 rnds)

This obviuosly does not need to be LE, tactical or magnum stuff, just relaible and inexpensive.

I'll be running a Mossy 590a1.

Any thoughts, reccomendations, etc.? Also, any 590a1 owners who can share any wisdom regarding this model.

As always, thank you for your input.
Batt,

The instructor will likely have you patterning your gun with buck (at distance) to explain the "zone" concept. I would take 50 rounds of the buck you expect to keep in the weapon for HD purposes (or what your department issues, if applicable). Same thing for slugs: Take the brand that you expect to keep around, which should be the same brand that closely follows POA/POI from your gun.

The rest (BS) can be the cheapest stuff that works reliably from your gun.

I know there's a cost involved there, but you will have a better class experience if your ammo isn't holding you back (inordinate spread, doesn't match POA/POI).

MHO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FMD, thanks for the input. I kinda figured that the buckshot should be what I expect to use for HD.

Has anybody had experience with Wolf in either buck or slug? I've found some online at a decent price. I have also found some Federal bird/clay (#7.5) in the red box at Wally world, (100) for $21.00. Good practice stuff?

I did read the post on best HD ammo. It seems that Federal and Hornady seem to have the thumbs up.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The bird shot will be just fine for your purposes- that is exactly the same as I now use for practice and plinking.

As for the Wolf, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Wolf, from what I have seen, generally does not pattern very well.
Federal ammunition with flight control wadding will probably pattern the best.
Hornady Tap is suppose to pattern pretty well as well.
I've seen some good results as well with Remington Tac 8
Any of the name brand cheap buck shot will probalby do decent- Federal, Remington, Winchester.
Estate is cheaper ammo, but from what I have heard, it seems to do pretty well as well.

I don't know how much time you have before the class, but I would recommend getting a box or two of every brand that you can find, and pattern it at a couple distances, out of your gun. Then buy a lot of whatever works the best. Definitely try out the Federal Flight Control if you can, because that is probably your best bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.