Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hello to all, a newbe here. My question is , has any one heard of any problems with the mossberg silver reserve firing both barrels at the same time. I just bought it last week at wally world and shot it today shooting skeet. My first shot I thought to myself, holy cow this thing kicks like a mule :shock: . then on my second shot, nothing. I cracked it open and low and behold, both shells had gone off the first shot.Durring the course of two rounds it did it 5 times :x .I know this can be repaired under warranty since i just bought it but was curious as to what is the cause of this and what is Mossberg service like (time and quality) thanks

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Have someone else shoot the gun an make sure it is doubling, not fan firing. Fan firing can happen so fast you think the gun has doubled. Or you can pull the trigger hard an make sure you don't release it, that way you'll know if it fires both barrels or not.

What happens with fan firing is, the gun recoils back from the first firing, hits your shoulder an bounces back forward causing you to pull the trigger again, without you even realizing it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Have someone else shoot the gun an make sure it is doubling, not fan firing. Fan firing can happen so fast you think the gun has doubled. Or you can pull the trigger hard an make sure you don't release it, that way you'll know if it fires both barrels or not.

What happens with fan firing is, the gun recoils back from the first firing, hits your shoulder an bounces back forward causing you to pull the trigger again, without you even realizing it.
Ditto. Can happen more frequently if you tend to hold gun loosely aganst the shoulder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what you mean but I dont think thats what it is unless shot gun triggers have the same principles as a rifle. I know with rifles, especially with target rifles, a hair trigger is desireable but I have never gave it much thought on a shot gun. Do they have adjustment on them or considering the nature of the beast is that a concern. One of the experienced shooters there was of the opinion the stock was a little short for my arm length and gave me a strapon recoil pad (gave me about 3/4" more length) dont know if that would make a difference. It didnt as far as the double firing.I would think the trigger mechanism would be designed as such to lock out against the second position untill released. these shots are firing at the same time and im getting a click on the second pull so I dont think its a micro second -second pull from recoil :?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give it a try before i go thru the send it back rutine. thanks for the info. As for my skeet shooting, I seem to spend most of my time practicing my misses.I must say I think I'm ready for the pros in that catagory :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Have you tried dry firing it and see if you get the hammers to fall seperately with each trigger pull? Sounds like a gun problem to me. what are the chances that you would have the rebound, accidental pull, that many times. Maybe a sear spring problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.