Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a surprise when I read the pressure stamped on the barrell of my mp153 as 80 Mp (Mega Pascals I presume!)
This pressure is below the pressure stamped on cartridges
that are classed as 'Magnum', ie. 1050 bar. I am presuming
that it is safe to fire theses cartridges in the gun?
There is approx. 145 bar in one Mega Pascal.

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jim,
Again, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I used a calculator with your numbers and saw that it comes out to 11600 Bar in 80Mp. If my trusty Bill Gates calculator is correct you should be able to fire them and have 10550 bar left over! hahaha.. I have shot over 300 3 1/2" magnum hevi-shot loads (I know, the ammo cost more then the gun) and am seeing no stress to the gun itself (just me)..

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikepinto said:
Jim,
Again, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I used a calculator with your numbers and saw that it comes out to 11600 Bar in 80Mp. If my trusty Bill Gates calculator is correct you should be able to fire them and have 10550 bar left over! hahaha.. I have shot over 300 3 1/2" magnum hevi-shot loads (I know, the ammo cost more then the gun) and am seeing no stress to the gun itself (just me)..

Mike
I need to think more.... type slower!

I made a mistake with the conversion.
There is 10 Bar in one Mega Pascal NOT 145 Bar in one Mp.

90 Mp is stamped on the barrell. That makes the pressure
'rating' = 900 Bar
That is what give me the scare when I purchased magnum
cartridges and seen 1050 Bar stamped on the casing.
The remington nitro magnum 'Hevy shot' (I payed approx. 27 dolars for 10!!!) have written on the cartridges, "1050 bar max".

Remington 50gram 3 inch (described as Heavy Magnum shotshels) have written on the box "To be used exclusively on guns 1370 bar proofed". This is above the 900 bar (90 Mp) stamped on the barrell of the Mp153.
That is what give me a scare when I first noticed the figures.

In the Baikal manual (page 19) in the specification table it gives a footnote to the barrell pressure figure which states: " the use of shot shells having marking 'Max 1050 Bar' or 'For guns tested by 1370 Bar pressure' is allowable.

I am no expert on gun proof testing.
The manual states that the 90Mega Pascal (900 Bar) is a Maximum Mean gas pressure.
Not trying to run down the gun here only wondering about what seem to be conflicting figures.

What pressure is stamped on other guns capable of firing these types of cartridges.

Thanks for reply. Not the sharpest grape in the bunch myself (as my neighbour used to describe me ):?

Jim Mak

·
Registered
362 Posts
I suspect the gas operating system comes into the equation at some point when Baikal made their statement about using that type of cartridge. The Gas system will vent some of the pressure when the gun is fired, the barrel won't see the max pressure listed on the cartridge box. How much pressure is relieved will depend upon where the end user has adjusted the gas system to operate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.