Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see everyone buys multiple reloading machines for every gauge they own. Is there no reloader that can load 12,16,20 and 28 all in one where you can just swap out charge bars and sizers etc?

I just hate having to decide on one gauge to reload. It would cost close to 1200 just to get the loaders for the 4 gauges I shoot most. That's nuts ! It would take me 10 years or longer to save money at that rate.

Just curious as the my options.
I love the 28 gauge so if I had to choose one gauge you know what I'd get. :)

Thanks,
Rinaldo

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
You can change gauges on a Spolar. They cost about $1,400 and by the time you buy all the conversions they'll be well more than $2,000.

I think you can change gauges on a Ponsness-Warren. They're a little cheaper than the Spolar, but with similar additional costs for each set of conversions you add.

Neither has the adjustments available on a MEC, nor will either load shotshells any better than a MEC.

A MEC in each gauge still offers the better value by far.

If you don't load a lot of shells, you could probably get by with three MEC Sizemasters for 12 to 28 and a 600 Jr. Mk V for .410 bore.

Neither the Sizemaster nor the 600 Jr. offers an automatic primer feed in .410 and the Sizemaster's squeezing collet offers virtually no advantage on the small amount of brass on a .410 — hence no need to go with the Sizemaster for that hull.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Case,
The 410 is one gauge I would definitely go to the Sizemaster on, regardless of the primer feed or not.

I get too many hung hulls on the depriming punch, even when the linkage is seemingly properly adjusted.

Somehow I just don't have the patience to fool with a 600 Jr anymore. I have a full set of Sizemasters and a full set of 9000G's adapted to the Auto-Mate. I'm quite happy with all of them.

DLM

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Case,
The 410 is one gauge I would definitely go to the Sizemaster on, regardless of the primer feed or not.

I get too many hung hulls on the depriming punch, even when the linkage is seemingly properly adjusted.
Yes, I have to tug that damned little hull off the depriming/resizing die occasionally, but much more often than that I have to fight the thing off the reprime punch, especially the AAHS hull.

And in times past I've literally had to use pliers sometimes to get the old compression-formed hulls off the reprime punch.

But I've loaded so many tens of thousands of .410 — and 12 gauge — hulls on a 600 Jr. I'm pretty much inured to those aggravations.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'd sure have to agree with DL on this one too. That's precisely why I got rid of mine...and quite frankly...couldn't get it out of my house fast enough. And I went with a PW 800B (used) in 410 and it's now the nicest loader I have to use ( out of 4 800B's)

I think you can change gauges on a Ponsness-Warren. They're a little cheaper than the Spolar, but with similar additional costs for each set of conversions you add.
Yes gauges can be changed on PW's. And just for clarity...PW's are close to half the price of a Spolar.

To the original poster.....as a multiple loader owner, there's no way I'd personally ever consider having only one loader and have to reconfigure it for whatever gauge I wanted to load. I think most would agree that being able to simply move from one loader to the next is pretty nice. If you have the space available to set up 4 separate loaders, that's definitely the way I'd recommend going. But even if you don't have the space to set up all 4 and leave them, going with 4 separate machines would still be my preferred option. Each can quite easily be positioned at...and removed from...your loading area as/when required.

If you can be patient, keep your eyes open and watch for good used loaders. There are quite a few out there and I'm sure you can get a full set of loaders...if that's what you want...for alot less than $1200.00. In fact...if you're content with single stage loaders, I'm quite sure you could find 4 of them for half that amount if not less.

If you don't load a lot of shells, you could probably get by with three MEC Sizemasters for 12 to 28 and a 600 Jr. Mk V for .410 bore.
I'd certainly agree with this too....except for the 600 Jr part. The Sizemasters are great....and with a little patience and shopping around.....4 used ones can definitely be had for MUCH less than that $1200.00 figure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
but much more often than that I have to fight the thing off the reprime punch, especially the AAHS hull.
Case.....have you not seen that little gizmo that clips onto the Mec's that solves this problem?

I forget what the heck it was called...and I don't see it on the Mec website. It clips onto the machine and holds the shell down as the reprime punch pulls up and out of it. And it works very well.

My 600 Jr came with one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you can be patient, keep your eyes open and watch for good used loaders. There are quite a few out there and I'm sure you can get a full set of loaders...if that's what you want...for alot less than $1200.00. In fact...if you're content with single stage loaders, I'm quite sure you could find 4 of them for half that amount if not less.
I agree. closer to $300 or less actually.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Don't have any of those issues with my 410 9000gn. In fact, the only issue I have with it is 820 migration, and I can fix that when I get some time.

Buying a couple of machines makes switching guages even easier! :lol: Start with the ***** you shoot most, and add when you are able.

bd

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really like and appreciate the versatility of my Ponsness-Warren 375 press. I reload everything from 3 ½ inch steel 12 ga loads through 20 ga. This press is very easy to switch between the various gauges and/or hull sizes with minimum expense for the various accessories required.

Since I'm retired and have the time and enjoy reloading, I have no need for the speed of a progressive press but I certainly have the need for the versatility of the PW 375.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
If you don't mind screwing arround resetting most everything, most any reputable loader can be changed from gauge to gauge. I'd rather just sit and contemplate the size of the universe than do that. I guess that's why I have 9 or 10 loaders now. :shock:

BP

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thanks guys.
I'm not shooting 1200 rounds a month like some of you so a reloader that can reload 500 shells on a rainy day will work just fine for me. I will give a look at the Auction sites and see what comes up.
Damn Ebay ! I can't believe they banned all the gun related items.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am a proud and VERY satisfied Spolar hydraulic/4 gauge owner and would not part with it. The production rate and quality rivals factory stuff. It is a joy to use and a pleasure to see kick out top notch rounds. I'm a retired aerospace machinist and quality control inspector/superviser. Trust me when I say "There is no better shot shell loader on the market, NONE!" Four gages and hydraulics? $3200 Worth every penny!!!! Next best? Without a dought 4 9000G's and an auto mate base. Change over time gage to gage? Less than 60 seconds. I know because I've timed my buddy more than once. You get very good performance and quality for about $1000 less. The one constant you get with a MEC besides they're unbeatable customer service is value. Dollar for dollar no loader holds a candle to a MEC. If volumn isn't an issue then work down the MEC price chain. You WILL find a loader to fit your needs at an industry leading price. As usual MJNSHO :shock: :D Ric

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a PW 375 for my hunting loads.

I have three different heads for it. I can change from gauge to gauge and 2 3/4 to 3" (save my 16's and 28's of course) in less than 2 minutes.

It's very slick....a bit expensive but with PW you only buy it once. With my PW when I switch from 3" 12 to 2 3/4" 16's it's less than 2 minutes with NO...ZERO...NADA adjustments for any of my crimps or anything. They are still set on the tool from last time. I don't know why more guys don't do this with their PW's.

MEC is a bit of a pain but I've done it with a size master. I gave it up when I bought my PW.

I don't load anything but 12 for target so I've not messed with my 9000G

·
Registered
56 Posts
nastymcnarf said:
I have a PW 375 for my hunting loads.

I have three different heads for it. I can change from gauge to gauge and 2 3/4 to 3" (save my 16's and 28's of course) in less than 2 minutes.

It's very slick....a bit expensive but with PW you only buy it once. With my PW when I switch from 3" 12 to 2 3/4" 16's it's less than 2 minutes with NO...ZERO...NADA adjustments for any of my crimps or anything. They are still set on the tool from last time. I don't know why more guys don't do this with their PW's.

MEC is a bit of a pain but I've done it with a size master. I gave it up when I bought my PW.

I don't load anything but 12 for target so I've not messed with my 9000G
That is precisely what I do with my PW 375. except I have included the set up for 3 1/2 inch shells for waterfowl hunting, and I also use it for reloading for the clay target games.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.