Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the shoots that every sporting clays shooter should go to? I’m creating sort of a bucket list of shoots and clubs I’d like to go to, and just wanted to get some opinions on which ones everyone else recommends. I’m in SW PA but don’t mind traveling- so far this year I am planning on hitting up a lot of the local venues (7 Springs, and smaller clubs- is Nemacolin completely out of registered shoots?) along with the Cardinal Center in Feb (and probably more of their shoots later in the year) and M&M for the Seafood Blast. I will make it to the Nationals one year, but I don’t see that in the cards for 2022. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Several of my shooting friends have said the Pilgrim Night Shoot each November at Cardinal is the absolute most fun shoot they're ever attended. They were universally effusive. All are serious experienced shooters and have attended all kinds of big shoots as well as charity and monthly type. They know whereof they speak, so that endorsement is solid for me. I have not made the effort to attend, but I am going to make a point of it next year.

The DU shoot at Hill-N-Dale gets good reviews too. Any opportinity to shoot at Hill-N-Dale is a good thing, even as a guest for fun or practice. If you've not been there, I'd add it to your list.

Being from PA., are you familiar with Lawrence County Sportsman Association? Wonderful club, and open to the public for clays on Sundays.

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Regionals, Open, FITASC Championships; the Southern Big Blasts (they used to all be in Florida but some have moved) that happen in Feb/Mar time frame

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several of my shooting friends have said the Pilgrim Night Shoot each November at Cardinal is the absolute most fun shoot they're ever attended. They were universally effusive. All are serious experienced shooters and have attended all kinds of big shoots as well as charity and monthly type. They know whereof they speak, so that endorsement is solid for me. I have not made the effort to attend, but I am going to make a point of it next year.

The DU shoot at Hill-N-Dale gets good reviews too. Any opportinity to shoot at Hill-N-Dale is a good thing, even as a guest for fun or practice. If you've not been there, I'd add it to your list.

Being from PA., are you familiar with Lawrence County Sportsman Association? Wonderful club, and open to the public for clays on Sundays.
Grouse Gunner,
I sure am familiar with Lawrence Co- I’m a member there and plan on shooting there a lot more in 2022 than I did in 2021- it’s about an hour and 15 minute drive for me, but it’s more than worth it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regionals, Open, FITASC Championships; the Southern Big Blasts (they used to all be in Florida but some have moved) that happen in Feb/Mar time frame
The southern Big Blasts sound like a great trip to get out of the PA winters and have some fun- great suggestions, much appreciated!

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Blue Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

The Zoli, Caribbean Classic, Jack Link's, and Florida Challenge have always been good. The Seminole and Gator Cup have move to Georgia
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

Those two are generally attended by a large number of shooters.
Of course, between ammo availability and Covid, who knows what will happen.

Reactions: toptechX6

·
Registered
519 Posts
What are some of the shoots that every sporting clays shooter should go to? I’m creating sort of a bucket list of shoots and clubs I’d like to go to, and just wanted to get some opinions on which ones everyone else recommends. I’m in SW PA but don’t mind traveling- so far this year I am planning on hitting up a lot of the local venues (7 Springs, and smaller clubs- is Nemacolin completely out of registered shoots?) along with the Cardinal Center in Feb (and probably more of their shoots later in the year) and M&M for the Seafood Blast. I will make it to the Nationals one year, but I don’t see that in the cards for 2022. What do you guys think?
The Hardy at Nemacolin was a go to shoot, but Nemacolin killed it.

Seafood Blast and Delaware River Classic at M&M are tons of fun.

I think the US Open in May should be on your list. It’s being held in South Carolina and there will be a big contingent of PA shooters there.

NE Regional at Hopkins.

Even though a smaller shoot, the long/short format at M&M this weekend is worth doing. The long side can be nasty!

·
Registered
14,051 Posts
I think it's all about who puts the shoot on.

best in no order--
1. Pat Lieske in Michigan
2, Scott Robertson (anywhere --but usually around Dallas)
3. Randy Travalia in Minnesota
4. Anthony Matarese in NJ

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Concerning FITASC I would recommend the FITASC 500 at Northbrook near Chicago annually held in September.
And anything Joe Cantey throws at his club in SC

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Keep them coming if you have any more suggestions, please.

·
Premium Member
2006 Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade and a Beretta
8,299 Posts
If you are in Western Pa. one of the best places to shoot is Buffer Creek Sporting Clays 8 miles north of Somerset Pa.

They have about 6 shoots a year. You shoot 100 on report then 100 true pair of the same targets.
50 target 5 stand. All for $115.

Great deal that is run by a great family.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are in Western Pa. one of the best places to shoot is Buffer Creek Sporting Clays 8 miles north of Somerset Pa.

They have about 6 shoots a year. You shoot 100 on report then 100 true pair of the same targets.
50 target 5 stand. All for $115.

Great deal that is run by a great family.
I try to make as many of their shoots every year that I can- also try to make it there at least once a month to shoot practice there, as well- agreed it’s a very nice place and great family that runs Buffer Creek.

·
Registered
407 Posts
RT
I think it's all about who puts the shoot on.

best in no order--
1. Pat Lieske in Michigan
2, Scott Robertson (anywhere --but usually around Dallas)
3. Randy Travalia in Minnesota
4. Anthony Matarese in NJ
RY sold Horse and Hunt a couple years ago. It is mostly a corporate event and wedding place now. Would not recommend unless you like the same targets on every course for years on end. And they rarely clean up shells, etc. A shell of what it used to be.

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
My bucket list:
Northbrook
FLC
Backwoods Quail Club
Alaska State Shoot
A month in Florida

I've been to M&M more times than I've told my wife. Can never go wrong there at any of their shoots.

I've been to Nationals. It's kind of a one and done experience for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The Ohio State Championship is at Hill n Dale this year. Eagle’s Nest outside of Columbus (by Cardinal) has a big AFS and big FITASC shoot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts