Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, got a question!!!!!!! Today I was looking in walmart at their 209 muzzle loading primers and was wandering whats the difference between those primers and the primers for shotshell? They had winchester triple 7's an remington klean bore I think was the name, they said for muzzle loading only. Why? are they hotter and create to much barrel pressure. Could I use the klean bore in the place of the remington sts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Triple Seven primers are for muzzleloading only. They are much hotter than W209 primers. Use only primers listed for shotshells

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Actually, 209 primers for muzzleloading are less hot than normal shotgun primers A regular 209 primer is hot enough to push the bullet forward before complete combustion of a load of blackpowder, which wreaks havoc with accuracy.

It is common to modify target muzzleloaders so that they use small pistol primers, the coolest primers available, but still more than enough to light blackpowder and its substitutes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DrMike, interesting that I'm getting these different opinions on the primers. Here's the reason I'm asking. I have load recipe that I'm doing and it calls for Rem. STS primer. The STS primer will give me a pressure around 8100 psi, I had to get Win. 209 primers because thats all the local reloading place has at the time, and the win. 209 puts the pressure up around 9500 psi. I'm loading a buffered load and I'm trying to keep the pressure down to the min. I saw those Rem. klean bore primers at wally world and was just wandering if they could be substituted for the STS so I could keep the pressure low, I understand that buffering a load really increases the barrel pressure. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Do NOT use 209 primers meant for muzzleloading in shotshells.
Stick to published loads. If you can't find the components you need locally, all are readily available online or via mail-order. Performing pressure tests, in your guns, next to your face, is beyond foolish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just asking, I didn't say I was planning on using them. Now I know . I'll stick with the w209, I can't pay that hazmat charge for primers. Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
petey said:
I'm loading a buffered load.
Please, please be "very careful" in changing anything in buffered loads that hasn't been pressure tested! Pressures can sky rocket at times with something as simple as a primer change....

Slidehammer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts