Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
What would cause the Top Lever "not" to stay off to the right but comes back to the 6 o clock when opened ?

Thanks for your time
Best way to check is to take off the barrels and forend, then remove the stock and see what happens when you move the lever to the right. There might be some differences depending on the gun; first, look at the breechface:

1. If the lever lock release pin is at the 9 o'clock position - If you're looking at the rear of the receiver with the stock off, as you move the lever to the right, you should see the locking block slide back. If you look at the right side of the receiver, as you see the locking block slide back, you should see the "leg" of a triangular-shaped piece rotate downward and engage a notch in the top of the right-side of the locking block. If the triangular piece doesn't move, possibly a jammed or broken part, or missing spring.

2. If the lever lock release pin is at the 12 o'clock position - If you rotate the lever all the way to the right, does the lever lock release pin stick out from the breechface? If you move the lever all the way to the right, does the lever lock release pin feel like it's under spring tension? If not, maybe a missing part or spring.

If you have Option 1 above and everything works with the stock off, I'd ask have you changed stocks recently? If so, check to see that the new stock is properly relieved to allow that triangular-shaped piece to move. This might not be the case if you have an older stock designed for a gun like in Option 2 above and put a gun that's like Option 1. In fact, doing so may put an abnormal amount of stress on the stock and crack it.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for helping me out ! This explanation is right-on and it brought to my attention , I didn't make
sure that indexing triangle was in the right spot on the H-block so I'm going to check that this morning . I
did make sure the PIN and spring + cup were clean as I shot some shop-air in and round those moving parts
along with lubing them . I didn't think about checking , to make sure that triangle was engaged properly !

Thank again for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts