Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 12 I went to throw a shell in my Rem. 878 auto and the darn little handle you hold to pull the action back broke. This really upset me because it was my granddads gun and it is in excellent condition.

I am hoping and praying that someone here can tell me if and where I can find replacement parts.

I think the 878 was replaced by the 1100, would a 1100 part work???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you don't know how much I apreciate the help. I found a place in NY that has my part I need for $9.80

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to ever use my gun again.
Now I have to figure out how to get the broke piece out of the bolt.

Good thing I had my Browning BPS with me at the dove shoot as a back up.
I shot bad this year, only 4 birds with a 12 gauge, I couldnt figure out how mush to lead them at 30 yards. I shot better and less shells last year with a 20 gauge 1300.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Try some needle-nose pliers to remove the broken piece of the operating handle. If you can't get hold of it, try drilling a small hole in the remaining piece of the handle. Then find a screw that is just slightly larger than the hole and force it in the hole by tapping it with a mallet or small hammer. Be careful and don't break anything. Just TAP it into place. Then, once the screw is wedged into place, pull on the screw and remove the broken handle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Or, you can take it to a local gunsmith who will probably charge you all of $20 to do it. Worth a call anyway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also noticed when I went to pull it back, the bolt wouldnt pull back, like it was stuck, so I jerked on the operating handle and it snapped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
20 ga. #1,

Here is a guy that sells Rem. Model 58 and 878 parts. My 878 action bar assembly broke and I got one from him. The operating handle part # is 25390 @ $10.00.

The 58 Sportsman
David P. Snoap
824 Emerald Ave. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(616) 235-0295

He will mail you a parts diagram blow-up, with your order, so that you can figure out how to disassemble the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts