Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not stellar...spilled more shot and powder than I want to admit. How in the heck do you start it off without it dropping shot over an empty station? Was following the book, just couldnt get it to work right...frustrating as all get out.

Once I got it going it was ok, loaded a total of 8 shells in an hour, sorry to say I was a heck of alot faster on my Lee :oops:

Going to try again tomorrow, hopefully I'll have a few of the bugs worked out. One other quick question, how do you lube the resizer without getting gunk all over your rounds?

Bob

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I just put two empty hulls under the shot and powder drop stations (no new primer!), when the turret rotates pull both out and dump them into their containers. A deprimed/resized hull is now under the powder drop with a new primer ready to seat, put one of the empty hulls under the shot drop----catch it after rotation and dump-----and you're ready to rock and roll with a shell that has powder and another empty in their right locations.

While doing this, you can be taking first impression readings from a scale, but not something to yet rely on as they can change after settling for a few cycles.

Ya know those little brushes that are a folded steel tube with black plastic bristles? I have one of those bent just right and it stays in the bottle of anti-seize, just right to get in behind the frame and primer support. Just a light coat on the outside of the collet, not enough to squeeze thru to the shells.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, appreciate the help! The book states that the charge bar clip is supposed to lock the charge bar to the left if no hull is in the slot. I noticed on mine it has a rod that drops to the middle of the reloader with nothing on it.?! I can pull down on that rod and it is spring loaded and it attempts to lock back the retaining lever..am I missing some parts?

Bob

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Start with the charge bar locked to the left. If the hook doesn't come up high enough to hold the charge bar, adjust the nylock nut on the actuating rod.

The charge bar will release and drop only powder when there is a shell in the reprime station. After the turret rotates, there will be a shell in the wad/shot station. The charge bar will move left, dropping shot, on the downstroke of the handle, and will move to the right, dropping powder, on the upstroke.

This is all explained and illustrated in the instructions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had the same situation on my 9000. The black rod to which bobshouse refers doesn't have any adjustment nut nor any other kind of adjustment, at least on my machine. After I tried everything else, I bent the black guide through which the rod passes, down about 1/8" so it would contact the circlip at the end of the rod. Never a problem since.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Also , sometimes everything else can be working right and the "bar lock" won't (can't) catch the bar . I had to bend mine so that it can catch the bar .

But --- in the long run , TT's "2 case" suggestion is fool proof and so easy . But , I leave my presses set-up -- easier and have never experienced any negative results .

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
TexasTon said:
I just put two empty hulls under the shot and powder drop stations (no new primer!), when the turret rotates pull both out and dump them into their containers. A deprimed/resized hull is now under the powder drop with a new primer ready to seat, put one of the empty hulls under the shot drop----catch it after rotation and dump-----and you're ready to rock and roll with a shell that has powder and another empty in their right locations.

While doing this, you can be taking first impression readings from a scale, but not something to yet rely on as they can change after settling for a few cycles.

Ya know those little brushes that are a folded steel tube with black plastic bristles? I have one of those bent just right and it stays in the bottle of anti-seize, just right to get in behind the frame and primer support. Just a light coat on the outside of the collet, not enough to squeeze thru to the shells.
Stellar advice!

Thats-a-how-ya-do-it!

Once you get clicking on that 9000, you're going to run out of empty shells in no time. :)

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Bobshouse said:
The book states
A book, you have a book?? :wink: Really, I understand how it is supposed to work but I don't see the need or any way easier than using two empties.

Also, when you are just getting started and checking drops, or checking drops after a change:

1) Either go behind and release the spring from the pawl that pulls the turret, or

2) When at the bottom of the stroke, reach under the right side of the turret, feel the pawl and lift it out and slightly to the right. This will still allow it to retract but not pull the turret but you have to do it each cycle.

The rest of the machine can remain full of shells, or empty during this procedure. Put two empties under the powder and shot, cycle the machine twice without the turret moving, dump those hulls back in to the bottles. I usually do this twice just for good measure, then on the next (5th drop) measure what was thrown and use that as a starting point as usually things have settled by then, but you need to recheck every other shell several times then get after it.

I have a magnet (screwdriver magnet) that stays on the machine, I use it to pluck the dropped primers out that I don't want out there when I start running. Once I get the primer feed set, I don't mess with it----period. Don't remove the spring/chain or anything else----just get the primers out and put them back in the hole in the feed cover.

I may have made this sound complicated, but it is very simple and weighing the drops requires 99% of the time, once you get the hang of it you will do it without thinking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
TexasTon said

I have a magnet (screwdriver magnet) that stays on the machine, I use it to pluck the dropped primers out that I don't want out there when I start running. Once I get the primer feed set, I don't mess with it----period. Don't remove the spring/chain or anything else----just get the primers out and put them back in the hole in the feed cover.

I don't believe it. Your are giving people advice on how to adjust a mec 9000 when you don't have your own adjusted.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally figured it out! Made a few adjustments and now it is catching the bar if no shell is in station 2. I also noticed the retaining hook is bent just a little, ordered another one to replace it.

I also found out that it is pretty damn easy to double charge a shell with a MEC reloader, really have to watch that upstroke/downstroke! Scary stuff.

Bob

·
Registered
420 Posts
You just want to put grease on the outside collet fingers and not on the inside. It doesn't take alot and if its getting on your hulls then it is probably too much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A mistake, on those rare occasions when they occur is fairly easy to detect. If you have too much of something in the shell, it is easy enough to remove the offending shell from the turret. But I usually goof on the other side....get so intent on the process I run out of shot...embarrassing and annoying to have perfectly formed shells that I can look straight down into the wad on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
TexasTon said:
If you have it adjusted correctly you don't have to go through all that BULL. You could just put one shell in the resize/deprime station and pull the handle six times and up with a finished hull, and no spillage.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Jersey Hunter said:
If you have it adjusted correctly you don't have to go through all that BULL. You could just put one shell in the resize/deprime station and pull the handle six times and up with a finished hull, and no spillage.
This is the reason this isn't BULL, it needs to be done anyway, even more than those few times on a new loader/powder/shot drop.

Have you ever shot a low/high powder/shot dropped shell thru a gun? I haven't, in over 400K rounds.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Jersey Hunter sounds like a Troll.....and not a particularly experienced one. geez.

I don't have a 9000, I have a Grabber. It's about as close as you can get. I've found from practice that I have to cycle the charge bar 5 or 6 times before I get consistent powder drops. My ammo is always within + .1 of a grain accuracy. Once I spend my initial 5 minutes getting everything settled I go like heck. Empty hulls tend to dissappear rapidly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Clayslayer said:
Jersey Hunter sounds like a Troll.....and not a particularly experienced one. geez.

I don't have a 9000, I have a Grabber. It's about as close as you can get. I've found from practice that I have to cycle the charge bar 5 or 6 times before I get consistent powder drops. My ammo is always within + .1 of a grain accuracy. Once I spend my initial 5 minutes getting everything settled I go like heck. Empty hulls tend to dissappear rapidly.
Troll??? I just tried to say there is no need to spill shot if you have the charge bar adjusted correctly. I think it's wrong to tell someone you need to keep shells under the powder & shot stations to keep from spilling you don't have it adjusted. I think it's wrong to tell someone not to lift the spring from the hook because they think when they hook it back on, the adjustment will somehow change. I can't say I get the .1 grain accuracy it's closer to .3 with clays. but I load a little light so I don't have to worry about too much pressure.
I will close by saying if you think I am a troll I will stop commenting on this subject

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barry, don't worry about it, I'm like you, I want it working properly or I don't use it. With the adjustments I made, it is working perfectly! I also ordered and installed the new primer feed, much better than the chain model IMHO.

Loaded 2 boxes of shells in a matter of minutes testing it out. This is so much faster than my Lee, Im going to have to find another hobby to take up my time that I used to spend on reloading!

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts