Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a mossberge 500 that is messing up.when I shoot heavy load(3in.mag high brass&slugs)the action will not stay locked up,instead it comes flying back,ejecting the shell,but to fast to start the next one into the hole,which meens I have to cycle the gun a second time to load another shell.it works right when I use light low brass field or trap loads.I took it to my local gunnsmith,but he thinks all mosbergs are junk and was not much help.he did say he would try to fix it ,but he has had it off and on since the week befor CHRISTMAS and has not figuard it out yet and with the recent warm weather ,I have had a real hankerin to go shooting,but my gun is still in the gun hospital, so any help on diagnosing the problem would be welcomed. happy shootin', JAKE

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Have you read this from www.mossberg.com/faqs.htm#pumpactionEvery time I shoot my pump, the action comes back? Pump actions will do that. It prevents the action from locking up and helps for a faster follow-up shot. The shooter should control the forearm forward to reduce unnecessary wear and recoil on the action

·
Registered
43 Posts
That gunsmith sounds like a very lazy person, and i wouldn't waste my time with him. If he has had it that long, he is probably not even messing with it. And like Mars said, the mossberg website does say it is suppose to do that. I have a Mossberg 500 and love it.

G

·
Regardless your action will spring back with the magnum shells, that is the nature of the the beast .just make sure you fully stroke the the action back to release the the shell on the carrier, if this done the shell will release from the shell stop to the carrier.Inspect your the timing issue from the action bar, it is really a simple design, if your smith can not help then get a new smith.RON KONTOWSKYACTIONS BY R.A.K.8o

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read on the mossberg wed site where it talks about the action not staying locked up ,I have 3 other 500's and have owned and shot several more,but have never shot one that did that,all the other one I could hold back-or more accurately ahead.when I pulled the tirgger it would litterly tear itself out of my hand.I have talked to some other people that know about mossbergs and they all tell me to check the amont of slop where the action bar fits into the steel block on the bottom of the bolt.I did forget to say it is a older modle that only has one bar.

G

·
I dont know if this would help.

Im not smith but the thing is that the lock lug which is on top of your "BOLT" is worn or the groove in the reciever where the lug fits into has become worn or gummed up which is causing the thing to FLY open as you said.

I have a Mossberg 500A and the old Lakefield Mossberg 500AB and a Maverick 88 all which fire 3" without the shell ejecting. The bolt does open a bit after a shot but never all the way and can control it with my hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts