Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I bought a brand new Remington 870 Police Magnum with parkerized finish and factory +2 extension tube. It came with an 18.5" IC barrel and walnut stock/forend.

I couldn't be happier with this shotgun. I bought an 870 Magnum with rifle sights 17 years ago, and it has served me very well. So I was pleasantly surprised when this 870 Police came in (I bought it over the internet), and it had a very nice walnut stock. My old 870 came with a hardwood stock with very little grain to it. The walnut stock on this 870 Police Magnum is very, very nice. It even some fiddleback to it. The fit where the wood meets the steel is excellent, too.

Functioning has been flawless, and the action is very smooth, and seems to get smoother the more I use it.

The only gripe I have is with the length of pull, which is about 14". I wish, especially with the 870 Police Magnum (which is intended to be a combat shotgun) Remington would make the length of pull of the wood stocks a little shorter, about 13.25-13.5". I handled a Marine Magnum the other day, and the synthetic stock was indeed a little shorter, perhaps about 13.5", and it felt great. I just don't like the look of synthetic stocks. I currently have my 870 Police in the hands of Alan Timney, who is shortening my stock by 11/16". I can't wait to try it out.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend the 870 Police Magnum. I picked this baby up for about $375 a year ago, and I see that, these days, they are going for about $450, which is still a steal. Heck, I'd easily pay $5-600 for one of these, maybe more, assuming that my own piece is any indication of the run-of-the-mill samplings of 870 Police Magnums.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts