Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Browning BT-99 that I bought from another board member. I didn't really "need" another shotgun, as I'd already purchased a couple this year, but this one looked like an extremely good deal, so I decided to go for it. I'm extremely happy that I did!

The gun is a BT-99 Plus, which has an adjustable comb, rib, and incorporates the Gracoil recoil reduction system. It also came with the high quality Browning "luggage"-style case, and a full set of Briley choke tubes. A serial number search on Browning's site showed that this gun was manufactured in 1990. It has some minor finish wear on the base of the receiver and at the rear part of the rib, as well as a small ding in the wood. Other than that it appears as new, despite the previous owner saying that he had used it for years. Even the checkering is still sharp and clean.

It was set up for a lefty shooter (I'm a righty) who was of a different size than I am, so the adjustments to "fit" were way off. Even in this condition I managed to hit 23 out of 25 in my first round, which happens to match the best score I've ever done with my current gun - a not insubstantial Winchester Supreme Select Sporting.

I'm sold. I think everyone should go out and get themselves a BT-99 (or BT-100) and watch their scores improve. These guns are amazingly comfortable, accurate, and plain old fun to shoot. Several of the guys at my trap club were suitably impressed with it too, which always makes one feel better about their purchases.

Thanks for letting me brag about my new gun!

-- Sam

(cross-linked to Gun Opinions forum)

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
Congrats on the new gun, SamL. It sounds like a very nice one. 8) I'm sure that in a short while you will be telling us proudly about running your first 25 with it. Then the first 50. Then the first ............ you get the picture. :lol: A good gun that a shooter has confidence in is invaluable in shooting good scores. Once a person masters the basics, the rest is a matter of concentration and confidence. :wink: Keep on smokin' (the targets, that is). :lol:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction (as if anyone cares): My gun doesn't have a Gracoil on it, it's some other brand of recoil reducer (no identifying marks). The Gracoil is a multi-adjustable doohicky with two shafts. Mine has a single shaft in the middle, and adjustment for toe in/out only.

Strangely, I got it from a left-handed shooter, but it's adjusted for right-hand toe in (bottom of recoil pad is more "inboard" - to the left - than the top).

-- Sam

·
Registered
733 Posts
The 99 Plus came with a recoil reduction system, adjustable comb and adjustable rib from the factory. If the bottom of the pad is to the left (as seen from the rear of the gun) it is set up correctly for a left handed shooter.

You might want to get your gun out to a patterning board and, standing 16 yards from the board, adjust the pattern until it's hitting where you want it. I set mine up at a 70/30 above the point of aim. Then I threw the wrenches away. The tough part about an adjustable gun is that you want to fiddle with it when you have a bad day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I 100% agree with your comment about fiddling with adjustments. I almost didn't go for this gun because of its many adjustments. On other toys I've learned not to "play" too much once I get something right, but another big problem is sometimes those adjustable items "slip" and need to be readjusted. No such problem with fixed pieces of metal.

But I must admit, now I'm more confused than ever w/r/t the toe-in adjustment. The only markings on the recoil reducer are "left", "right", and "center/neutral". It is currently set to the "right", and the manual indicates that this setup is correct for a righty shooter. Looking from the back of the gun the pad is cocked like this: / (Not as an extreme an angle, but you get the point.)

Another point of confusion: The manual talks about the "standard" and "Gracoil-equipped" models. Mine is clearly not a Gracoil, but it looks like a factory installation. Perhaps this is due to the gun being a 1990 model, and they used a system other than Gracoil then, but today's manuals are for today's Gracoil-equipped guns? None of the "Gracoil"-specific adjustments in the manual match up with what I'm seeing on the gun.

-- Sam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.