Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here. I went to a gunshow this past weekend with no real intent to purchase anything. The very last table we looked at I saw something I had to have. Never mind the fact I already had an old 12 gauge and a 20 gauge Wingmaster. :)

Here's what I found, it's a old Wingmaster, great shape other than the bluing is gone under the foregrip. It has a 20" ribbed modified barrel and an 8 round magazine extension. It also has a Pachmayr recoil pad. Everything looks great on this gun. Very tight, no rattles. I just couldn't pass it up.

What I couldn't get is, isn't this an odd setup for a stock looking 870? I'm going to call Remington tomorrow to find out the age. The barrel has "80" stamped on the side, doesn't that mean the barrel was made in 1980?

Paid $250 total for it. Not a bargain, but fair enough for me to take it! What do you think?

Serial # starts with a "T" and ends with a "V", does this have a special meaning?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Not a bad price for a wingmaster. I doubt it came from the factory with the extended magazine tube even though it appears to be sporting a factory mag tube.

If the serial number ended with an "M" it would mean it's a magnum (3 inch) receiver. Yours is an 2 3/4" receiver.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Looks like someone turned a garden-variety Wingmaster into a kick-*** defensive gun.

I'm fixing to do that with the cheapest 1100 I can find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The extension tube appears to be a stock tube, but I can't find any markings of any kind on it. It is worn equally with the rest of the gun.

*I* thought the odd part was a Remington branded barrel, modified choke, ribbed, that was only 20" long.

I wonder if Remington can tell me the original factory setup of this gun? Not that I plan to change a single thing. This is the perfect shotgun for me. I might want to add some type of weaponlight to it, but only something that will clamp on.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
sNaKeYeZ said:
The extension tube appears to be a stock tube, but I can't find any markings of any kind on it. It is worn equally with the rest of the gun.
:arrow: I think Remington did or dose make a factory mag extension?

*I* thought the odd part was a Remington branded barrel, modified choke, ribbed, that was only 20" long.
:arrow: Rib barrel marked mod? Gotta be a stock barrel cut down!

I wonder if Remington can tell me the original factory setup of this gun? Not that I plan to change a single thing. This is the perfect shotgun for me. I might want to add some type of weaponlight to it, but only something that will clamp on.
:arrow: Yes Remoington should be able to tell you.

:idea: $250 for all you got was a steal! :wink:
First short-barreled riot gun (sorry hd gun) I've seen on this site I've really liked! 8)
:roll: Old guy, prefer good old walnut and blue!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. If this barrel is a cut down barrel, someone professional did it. The rib looks perfect, the bead is perfect, and the end of the barrel is clean with hardly any bluing missing and very even.

We noticed when cleaning it that the patch never slowed down near the end of the barrel like you usually have when you get to the choked end of the barrel. Maybe it is truely a cylinder bore barrel now, I dunno and don't know how to really tell.

Like I had said, I'm going to try calling Remington and I'll post my results here later.

G

·
I dont think there were any WM's made with a short MOD barrel like that. I would bet that it was cut and you have a CYL barrel on that. If you want it for home defense you got a good deal. If for hunting, its sort of an odd gun.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
If you don't have any way of measuring the diameter of the opening at the muzzle, just take the gun out and pattern it with some target loads at about 20 yards. This should tell you whether it's a Mod choke or Cylinder choke. I'll bet that it's a Cyl choke since I've never heard of Rem making a 20" barrel with a fixed Mod choke.

BTW, I think that Rem has a way of dating your gun by looking on the Rem website. I may be wrong on that, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I called Remington this morning. Turns out this particular shotgun was made in 1977 (it's as old as I am!). It originally had a 28" modified ribbed barrel. Sooo, someone spent some money to have the barrel cut down sometime in the past. I love it!

I found out that I also own a 1967 870 Wingmaster, also a 12 gauge, and I have a 1980 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge. Wow.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
that's really cool. I would have preferred to have a VR barrel sight plane on my 870 wingmaster police.

mines a 1980 closet gun that i picked a a few months ago unfired. i paid more than you did. I had a feeling it was cut down because of 1)vent rib and 2) fancy deluxe wood. wingmaster did come in std wood ( short foregrip and no checkering) once and the police ones always did.

you might be able to get a screw in choke made for it if it is thick enough. or just leave it.

link to my police wingmaster:http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=59761

1 - 15 of 15 Posts