Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

I've been busy at work and whatnot and realized just today that I've neglected to write a post about my most recent acquisition. I love reading others' posts about guns they've just bought, so I hope you'll all enjoy this one. It's my long sought-after Ithaca Model 37 in 16 ga, 28" plain (no vent rib) barrel, choked modified. I sent the serial number to Ithaca and they tell me the gun was built in 1951. Also, it was rebuilt, reblued, and the wood refinished by the factory in 1989. It must have seen very little use after that, because it's easily in 95%, NRA "excellent" condition. The wood and the checkering on the stock are great, and it has the classic old ringtail forend that I was looking for. The engraved duck-shooting scenes on the receiver are there too. It's my first gun that I bought because I wanted a classic, rather than just a practical shotgun to hunt with (I have a bunch of Remy 870 express guns, as most of you know, but this model 37 is different). It's the shotgun our fathers used. It mounts and swings beautifully, and I can break clays with it as well as with any other gun I've ever used (I just shoot clays informally, for hunting practice, so I'm not bragging much here). When I look at it, I can just see a bunch of guys--none of 'em are wearing hunter safety orange-- standing around a 1953 station wagon after a pheasant hunt, I can smell the pipe tobacco and hear the bantering and laughter and talk, the replay of each bird that got up, of each point the #2 dog honored, and that one great long shot that one of the men made that day. I can't wait to hunt with my Ithaca. Sure, I'll have to make adjustments for the one-choke barrel, maybe let the pheasants fly out there a bit and wait for the ducks to come in a bit closer before I let go, but it'll be like having an extra hunting companion along each time. Other men hunted with this shotgun, men who are probably long-gone now, but I know I'll have them with me every time I go afield. It's a beautiful sport we share, isn't it? I feel that, for the first time, I've bought a shotgun that I'll keep the rest of my life and hopefully pass down some day. I can only wish all of you the same good luck.

Jeff23

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on the Ithaca 37! It is truly a gun you will enjoy for the rest of your life. Just make sure that one makes it into your Grandkids hands! Way too many of them have not been passed down to future generations like they should have.

It is a classic shotgun in every sense of the word.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I too have an older model 37 that I just love. Mine is from the 60's, and was the first gun I owned. My Dad bought it for me. I have been waterfowl hunting, goose hunting, and deer hunting with slugs. It has never failed me, even after I shot trap with it for a few years, and put hundreds of rounds through it. I took it out this spring to shoot a few rounds of trap, and i think I must be getting older, because it really pounded the shoulder, compared to my other gun that I usually use for trap. I think a recoil pad is in order! :shock:

There is "something" about an older firearm, with some history that is always very pleasing. Glad to see that you can appreciate that too!

Have fun with your shooting !!

·
Registered
328 Posts
37s are sweet guns and if money were no object, I'd buy a new one, ringtail forend and all. All it would need is a left-handed safety, ordered that way from the factory.

As a kid growing up in Michigan, I have fond memories of my Uncle Mike carrying a 16 gauge Model 37, while my Dad used my uncle's hand-me-down 12 gauge Model 12 Winchester (which I now possess) on pheasant hunts in October.

By rights, I should've inherited that 37 from my uncle, but another member of the family got it first. :(

Anyways, my hat is off to the greatest pump ever made, the Ithaca Model 37.

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Those are sweet. My pop-in-law has one AND a belgium Browning ( both 12ga. ) that I am slowly negotiating to take from him since he hasn't hunted in over 20 years easily... 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.