Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a slightly used PW800+ last month that I intended to load 410 on. My other machine which is on loan to me is cranking out wonderful 28's and I didn't want to take a chance of messing up any of the settings,

For reference there is a lot of great info on loading 410 to use,
Dano's notes here along with a few other threads are definitely worth reading

I replaced the original plastic top plate with a new EZ seal also bought a new magnetic shell holder and a swab for the shell holder,

I had a few primer issues, primer would tilt and catch feeding into the ram, primer wouldn't drop from the tray ( the clear tray cover wing nut was tightened to much, leaving it loose allowed the following primer to lift and the primer to drop),
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Bumper Cosmetics

Tableware Gas Bumper Wood Machine

I did not do Dano's o-ring insert as I was ready to load, making sure I push the wad down has cured the petal catching 100% of the time for me so far,

my recipe is
AA HS
cheddite
H110 with 3A bushing dropping 15.9 gr
1/2ou #9 from #1 bushing (honed out slightly as it was originally only dropping .47ou, about 10-15 pellets short and is now consistently at .495ou )
claybuster WAA410HS

I loaded my first 75 and shot them fine, about my average on the skeet field,
this week I loaded another 400
1 primer issue that didn't sit on the primer seating post for some reason and I missed it and noticed it when it popped off the ram at the downstroke
1 spent primer that didn't drop from the hull (felt the resistance on the downstroke before the new primer crushed it and was able to remove with no issue)
1 wad petal folded on the ram that I didn't firmly push into the wad fingers ( I caught it as the ram touched it ), the 28 doesn't have that issue so I needed to retrain my eyes to look there as I worked the handle

As a new reloader I was quite intimidated by everything I read about PW and 410's but I can tell you my first 500 have been FUN to do ( along with the 4K 28ga's that I did on the other machine), what a finely tuned machine! ready to shoot so I can load some more !

Hand Tobacco Finger Nail Ashtray

Hand Finger Red Thumb Nail

my very first shell before I realized I how far I needed to push the wad into the fingers,

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Cylinder Gas Hat

@joe kuhn

1 - 1 of 1 Posts