Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 200 dollar stamp from the BATF and paper work to pick up my double barrel 12 gauge finally.My question is,can I travel with a copy of the permit,or do I have to have the original on me when I carry this 20 3/4 inch side by side?All Kinds of feed back is wanted.Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Docdevil said:
I got my 200 dollar stamp from the BATF and paper work to pick up my double barrel 12 gauge finally.My question is,can I travel with a copy of the permit,or do I have to have the original on me when I carry this 20 3/4 inch side by side?All Kinds of feed back is wanted.Thankyou.
20 3/4 inch barrels or the length of the entire gun?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
make several GOOD copies of your paperwork and put the original up somewhere safe.If you lose it, It will not be replaced. The ATF will only send you a copy of the one they keep.
Keep a copy with the gun. I keep my copy in the case I carry the gun in. You can take it anywhere in the state that you live. If you want to take it out of the state then you MUST get a 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Fill it out and mail it to the ATF, it takes about a month to get it back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I put the original permit in a safety deposit box,or does it have to be at my home,and is a copy ok to travel with?Also,if I want to have this shotgun worked on,can I have my gunsmith or dealer work on it,or does the guy have to be a class 3 dealer?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
safe deposit box is fine. The copy will work just fine for traveling. Any gunsmith can work on it as long as you stay there with it. If you have to leave it with a smith, it must be temporally transferred to the smith. This is tax free transfer. I don't remember off of the top of my head which form is used. I'll have to check.

here is the form need to do a temporary transfer

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53203.pdf

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Banshee,the form to travel to another state didn't come up,will try to contact BATF.Gotta say I like my sawed off but,the whole permit thing was a real pain.If I figure out how,I will put photo's of my new toy in.Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
hopefully that is a form you will never need. I checked the link on a couple of computers and it worked on tham all. Try it again, maybe the site was down when you checked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot this,couldn't wait to touch off both barrels at the same time,problem was,I braced right hand to high up stock and got a nice gash between my thumb and index finger.Hand was too close to mechanism that breaks shotgun open,gloves for sure next time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious...getting the BATF stamp. What are the Fed intrusion implications once you go that route? Do they have Carte Blanch for inspection, etc?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
none,

One who is neither a FFL nor SOT, but only owns
weapons regulated under the National Firearms Act, the law seems
clear, but practice is a little murky. ATF may only compel you
to show an agent upon request the registration paperwork, that
is the Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever else might have been used
to register the weapon. See 26 USC sec. 5841(e). They do not
have any right to compel you to show them the weapon. However
they apparently (I have no first hand knowledge) take the
position that they can compel one to show ATF the weapon upon
request, even if the owner has no FFL. As always the Fourth
amendment applies, and ATF may not enter your home or other place
of storage of the NFA weapon, nor seize the weapon, without a
warrant, or without falling under an exception the Supreme Court
has created to the operation of the Fourth amendment. They
should also need a warrant to compel a non-FFL holder to show
them the weapon, and I would insist upon that, myself.

I have owned Machineguns, Sub-Machineguns, Suppressors and Short Barreled shotguns for 20 years now and have never heard from anyone in the ATF other than when I have contacted them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for answering that Banshee,as far as getting photo's of this sthotgun,I will have to get help from one of my kids,and have them do this for me as soon as I can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My own personal experience was a bad one.A comedy of errors,by the guy who cutomized for me and the dealer who sold it,it took two years.There were so many screw ups,then the form I sent in was obsolete.I had to do another one.No way would that kinda stuff happen to you.I am very happy with my sawed off,but if I had to do exactly what happened to me last time,NO WAY.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
local level

The Sheriff dept just looks at me like I'm nuts when I take the papers in for then to sign and get finger printed. It takes about a week to get the forms back. They are use to me now. :lol:

Fed level

normally 90 days for the paperwork to be done..
When I built my shortly it took almost 90 days to the day. I have one out now on a short barreled 870P that just past the 60 day mark

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just a Idea for you , make several copies and keep the original in a safety deposit or in safe keeping at home ..... Take one of those copies put it in a small ziplock bag and unscrew the rubber butt on your shotgun , there should be a hollow spot to access with a screw driver .... roll up your copy and slide it in the butt and reinstall the butt pad or plate, that way a copy is ALWAYS with the gun. I have a gemtech supressor for my AR-15 and thats where i keep my tax stamp ........... its a simple place to keep it , where it never gets in the way and its ALWAYS with the gun ..... and it cant get hurt ......I dont think a gunsmith has to be a class 3 dealer to work on a class 3 gun ...... i think they just have to be class 3 to sell them ..... but you might want to check the laws

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good idea,still want to get a permit to go out of state with my sawed off.The states I travel to,are Wyoming,Montana,South and North Dakota, and Idaho.Washington I understand I couldn't own my sawed off shotgun,but then again in Idaho ya are probably required to have one. :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone had a holster made for a sawed off?Just wanted to see a photo of one,to take to a guy I know who does holsters.The only one I can say I really seen,was the one,worn by the James Caan character {Mississippi}in the John Wayne movie El Dorado.If I am gonna do this I,want to do it right,and spare no expense. Oh,and I am still working on the picture of this sawed off,and will get it in as soon as I can.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts