Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas State Shoot --

This shoot was a hundred times better than last year's shoot, hands down. While it was not great, it was still very good. :D

It was very hot and humid, but there's nothing the range could do about that. They had lots of water, gatorade and snacks on the various event courses -- kudos for this. :D

There was a shuttle service for Main event, but we only saw it one time, and it was a long walk from Main event station 12 to station 1. Each of the Main event courses were structured with 12 stations each, with some five pair stations -- this structure meant there were backups. If there had been 2 or 3 more stations on each course, it would have flowed more efficiently.

We had a small issue with the Saturday night banquet... they were giving away many prizes, and understandably, the shooters had to be present to win. So, when we finished shooting for the day at around 5pm, we stayed for the banquet. If we had known that it would be 8pm before the prizes were drawn, we would have gone back to the hotel and showered and come back to the banquet... oh well, live and learn. :?

The Prelim was a trap shooters dream, but in all fairness they had a flat piece of land with no towers so everything was off the ground and the scores showed it... was not a kind event. :twisted:

5-Stand was a very fair event with a good mix of target presentations... a few battues, a small tower and a couple of rabbits, with very little quartering away. Well done, solid event.

The FITASC was not as good as it could have been. There were to many trap type targets, over-the-top targets, very edgy targets and some silly targets. Each layout had similarities to the others -- very little imagination used. I thought layouts 1 & 2 were not bad, but layouts 3 & 4 were not so good.

The Main event contained very good target sets on both courses, with a good mix of a little bit of everything. I heard some talk about trees/bushes being in the way... not sure if that was an issue. After being completely embarrassed at the US Open, I was very happy with these targets. If you only shot one event at the Texas State shoot, the Main was the event for you. :)

One very negative issue was there was no money to out of state shooters, with the exception of out of state HOA and RU (maybe I am wrong, but I'm going by what is posted on the web site). That is very unfair to the 53 out of state shooters who came to Texas to support the Texas State shoot. I'm not sure if any of the out of state AA - E class shooters had a chance at the out of state HOA / RU money, yet they paid the same entry fee as the in state shooters that took home good money. Very, very unfair. We will pay closer attention to the money structure next year and if it's the same as it was this year, we will not come back. Sorry, just how it is! :cry:

It was fun, it was hot, it was humid and we are glad we made the trip :D

Your Humble Target setter
Dave F

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Dave, I am glad you made the Texas State shoot, your wife's shooting was excellent :!:

When talking about ASC you must keep in mind the old saying, "You can't make a silk purse, from a sow's ear", it is just butt ugly terrain. While I did not shoot the pre-lim, I did venture over to see the targets. Trap targets :?: Yep and I guess when a trap shooter sets them we shouldn't expect anything different.

You are not the only person who thought the FITASC targets were down right un-friendly :roll: The main event was very good IMO, on Sunday we were caught in a very long back up and your correct another couple of stations would have solved this problem.

As far as out of state money is concerned I couldn't agree with you more. IMO the money should be available to all comers. Here is the truth, a high % of the larger shoots are shot here in Texas, if one wants to attend the bigger shoots then they will have Texas on their list.

I can understand some of the smaller states not sharing monies with out of state shooters but not here in Texas, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Was this event better than last years :?: OMG YES, and the folks at ASC should be commended for making that sow's ear look as good as possible :D

Randy

·
Registered
576 Posts
If it was advertised that there was NO MONEY for out of state shooters and you went anyway then that's not a valid complaint. If it wasn't promoted that way then that's another issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me the Prelim was one of the best courses I have shot¡¡¡¡¡¡.

Station 12 had a double trap presentation and I think station 9 had another trap target, so there were only 3 out of 24 targets that were trap style targets. For me it was a very balanced course with long crossers, loopers, chondells, crows, incomers, quartering in, quartering away and yes 3 trap targets.

It is true that the level of this course was not an easy one but by no means it wasn´t a very hard course neither.

For me it was an excellent job done by Dan Carlisle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dave, I have to agree with kangaroo100. Looking back, I count 6 true trap style quartering outgoers out of 24 total. Not anything unreasonable or anything to call it a trapshooter's dream for sure. I thought Dan did an excellent job with a good mix of presentations. It was my favorite course too, although probably just a shade on the tough side for a prelim. I thought it was very well set and it handled the wind well also. Kudos to Dan, nice set.

Steve Schultz
TargetLine Shooting School

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I grew up southwest of Houston and my memory is that it rains every day in Houston.

·
Registered
793 Posts
" All prizes, awards, and Cash is up for grabs regardless of your residence, except the HOA and the RU. The HOA and RU have always been, and will be Texans this year.

But we will have the Out State HOA and RU a generous cash prize. I anticipate the competition for all these awards to be tremendous."

I was told the above post on "the other forum". Is there a published list of the payouts? If so, where? Bill

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I saw in the list of shooters that Olympic double trap gold medalist Walton (Glen) Eller and
Olympic Skeet shooter Haley Dunn both competed in Master class and made a respectable showing.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
dftopgun1 said:
Texas State Shoot --

One very negative issue was there was no money to out of state shooters, with the exception of out of state HOA and RU (maybe I am wrong, but I'm going by what is posted on the web site). That is very unfair to the 53 out of state shooters who came to Texas to support the Texas State shoot. I'm not sure if any of the out of state AA - E class shooters had a chance at the out of state HOA / RU money, yet they paid the same entry fee as the in state shooters that took home good money. Very, very unfair. We will pay closer attention to the money structure next year and if it's the same as it was this year, we will not come back. Sorry, just how it is! :cry:

It was fun, it was hot, it was humid and we are glad we made the trip :D

Your Humble Target setter
Dave F
Dave,

I understand your point of view when you said: "not sure if any of the out of state AA - E class shooters had a chance at the out of state HOA / RU money, yet they paid the same entry fee as the in state shooters that took home good money. Very, very unfair."

Personally, whether I win any money at a shoot isn't a deal breaker. If I wanted to make some money that day, I would have stayed home and worked. Or gone to a live pigeon shoot. Anyway, the actual going and shooting out weighs winning some money hands down, every time for me. A nice piece of chrome and walnut means more.

But there is something else to consider here. It just may be best that the money purses stay in the State. Years ago, one big time shooter would go from state to state shoots, and was winning a lot of the purse money. It caused a big bruhaha, and for good reasons.

So, while maybe out of Staters should pay a slight entry fee reduction, I do believe that for State Shoots, the all purses should stay with the residents. After all, it's their shoot.

Just a little difference of opinion, but I do understand your point of view. I also understand what the Texas folks are doing, it's just they no doubt need to be more clear, straight forward, and upfront about it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
For what was an otherwise great shoot, the handling of out of state money was a disappointment. I specifically asked the question as to what could be won by an out of state shooter. Below was the response. The Out Of State HOA and RU was a nice touch, but what about everyone in the other classes? Another question that bothers me is: Why not offer concurrent options in events other than the Main? Doesn't cost the club anything except a little time and effort. And yes, we did pay the same fees. I guess, the bottom line is that you Texacans are just scared!!

"All prizes, awards, and Cash is up for grabs regardless of your residence, except the HOA and the RU. The HOA and RU have always been, and will be Texans this year.

But we will have the Out State HOA and RU a generous cash prize. I anticipate the competition for all these awards to be tremendous."

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mule Driver's point about keeping money within the state is reasonable, though it would likely drive down the out-of-state entries. Perhaps his suggestion to charge out of state shooters less would mitigate that somewhat.

Personally, I have no problem with whatever a state association chooses to do, so long as it clearly advertises its decision.

But if I entered a tournament thinking I was eligible to win money, traveled a long way to compete, and then shot well enough to win money only to be told that the rules hadn't been properly explained ... well, I'd be a bit more than disappointed. I'd be downright peeved.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Couldn't disagree more about the money.
If any shooter in the world shows up, pays his entry fee and shoots, they should be able to win the money wether they are from the state or not. Whats it going to be next left handers are not eligible, or maybe only those with brown hair and blue eyes can win the cash.
If you don't like someone else winning the money then SHOOT BETTER.
Like the carnie man says, "you buy your tickie you take your chances".

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that if your purse is for residents only, your out of state shooter base will continue to dwindle. Been there, seen that.

Most states have some added money/awards set aside for residents only, and other added money that anyone is eligible for. To me, that's the best way to do it.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Whatsuuuup! said:
Couldn't disagree more about the money.
If any shooter in the world shows up, pays his entry fee and shoots, they should be able to win the money wether they are from the state or not.
Sounds good to me. Please understand that limited purses to just residents is something I could see for just State Championships. Or better yet, what was suggested by battuebaby in the post above is even better.

There's a history early on when sporting was just getting going where one of the top guys was indeed just going to other State's state shoots and cleaningup. Really wasn't cool and caused some problems.

Whats it going to be next left handers are not eligible, or maybe only those with brown hair and blue eyes can win the cash.
Get real. That has nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
After last year I don't plan to shoot tx state, specifically kerrville, again. Besides the money issue, they didn't even give trophies to anyone from out of state in ANY event. At first on iclays there was a little trophy logo next to award winners, including out of state, then it changed and only had them next to residents.

They also let a guy from Mexico who had not registered a target all year shoot without putting him in penalty class. This stayed even though they took weeks to post results to supposedly fix just that. I then sent emails and left several messages asking WTF for Jack which were NEVER responded to.
NSCA 604835

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.