Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
i went on a hunt yesterday with my 1yr old winchester 1300 pump action and barrel clean and action oiled a little
all ready to go and then!!!
the first phesant flushed and i fired went to eject for a second shot gun jammed i had pulled the ejector past the empty hull
no biggie i thought ill extract it and reload for the next bird

loaded back up flushed a chuckar fired -went to eject pulled the ejector past the spent hull had to take barrel off and gently extract hull with cleaning rod stuck 20 back in car and busted out beater mossberg maverick 88 12 *****
never missed another shot the rest of the day and boy are those phesants a lot of fun
anyone have any ideas on what the h*** is going on with my
winchester ? thanks for any info guys
divr6347

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Obviously, the answer is that pheasants prefer to be shot with Mossbergs :lol:

Just Kidding DIVER --we'll have to wait for a gunsmith type guy to come by and tell us the answer, which I too will be interested to find out. Ulysses comes to our forum often and I bet he knows. It doesn't sound like a short shuck to me. Worn ejector (possible in a one-year old shotgun?) Not assembled quite right? Just guessing, please don't hold me to it!

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
Hello Jeff23 and Diver. My guess is that crappy ammo is to blame. Some guns will shoot (and extract) it well and other guns won't. Try some high quality ammo like Winchester AA target shells. Remington STS is another high quality shell. If it does the same thing with these shells, then it is the gun's fault. You might try polishing the chamber with a bore or chamber brush with 000 steel wool wrapped around the brush. Put this in a power drill, apply some oil for lubrication and go to it! :!: Polish on it for about 20 minutes or so.

If switching to good ammo and polishing the chamber doesn't fix the problem, then the problem is the extractor or a weak extractor spring. My guess is that it's the ammo. Let us know what you find out. BTW, I'm assuming that you don't have a buildup of crud (powder/carbon/oil) around the extractor. I'm also assuming that you have lubricated the extractor so that it works freely and moves easily. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEY JEFF AND UL
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE AND THE HUMOR JEFF I DID SHOOT A BAG FULL OF PHESANTS WITH THAT CRAPPY WORKHORSE MOSSBERG BUT I KILLED THE FIRST ROOSTER OF THE DAY WITH MY 1300 SINGLE SHOT PUMP LOL
I TOOK THE GUN TO A LOCAL SHOP AND THE GUY SUGGESTED THE SAME THING AS UL A CHAMBER POLISH SO HOPEFULLY IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM HE SAID HE CAN SEE LIGHT RUST OR SOMETHING IN THERE THAT WOULD HANG UP A SPENT SHELL
I DONT KNOW THAT I BELIEVE HIM BUT I GUESS ITS WORTH A TRY ILL KEEP YOU POSTED BUT UNTIL I GET IT BACK THE
DOVES WILL BE GETTING A SHOT OF 12 GA MOSSBERG :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Divr,

I had similar problems with my 12 ga Winchester 1300. I purchased it a year ago as well. It wouldn't always eject properly. I tried polishing out the chamber, but that didn't help (though it might on yours). Not being very patient I traded it in for a new Benelli Nova. Haven't had it out in the field yet. My boy is going to use it tomorrow for youth pheasant season. Good luck in getting the 1300 up and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.