Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day is fast nearing when I will run out of IMR 7625 that I bought for 1/2 price at a going out of business sale. I'm looking at using Alliant 20/28 powder. I will be using it in old "AA" CF hulls w/ a 3/4 oz load of shot for quail hunting. Does anyone have a load for this or a source of info they can direct me to? Thanks.
Chris

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curly,
I did a quick scan of Alliant and somehow missed the 20/28 info. Dumb! At least this gives me a ball park idea of what will probably be called for in the way of powder weight. Thanks for all your kind help and maybe DLM has some good info that I can use. His powder supply would probably fill up Tiger stadium at LSU.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Tom Ceretto has mentioned in his articles that Alliant has an updated Reloader's Guide in the works. He believes it should come out in time for the February SHOT Show. With luck it'll have more thorough data for 20/28.

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
fase3 said:
Curly,
I did a quick scan of Alliant and somehow missed the 20/28 info. Dumb! At least this gives me a ball park idea of what will probably be called for in the way of powder weight. Thanks for all your kind help and maybe DLM has some good info that I can use. His powder supply would probably fill up Tiger stadium at LSU.
The first time I looked, I missed it also, so don't feel badly.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Fase3,

To tell the truth, I haven't loaded any 28 ga. CF cases with 20/28, although I will, if for no other reason than to find a good load for those cases.. Fact is I'll have to scrounge some to do the testing. However I may have enough stuck somewhere to do this test.

I have studied the data I have and have determined that I will start with 13.0 grs., and work up if necessary. I will use both Fiocchi and W-209 primers, and will use the PC Blue wad. I'll be shooting for a velocity of 1220 to 1225 FPS.

I'll try to do this early this next week if the weather will let me. Has been raining and cold for 4 days now.

DLM

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DLM,
WE had low 50's weather for a preseve hunt on Fri. Since then 4" of rain and temps inthe upper 60's . Tonight the lower 40's. If you do not like south La. weather just wait 5 min. it will change! So I understand your problem. Any help will be kindly thought of.
Chris

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Cicero said:
It looks like the normal 28 gauge charge is around 13 grains or so. Does anybody know what MEC bushings have nominal drops around there?
Bushing Weight gr.

14 --------- 12.5
15 --------- 13.0
16 --------- 13.8

(Full MEC bushing chart for 20/28 is in the October SSR.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.