Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Browning CXS Beretta A 400 Remington 1100 28 beretta Xplor
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crow season will be here before I know it.
I have been using 1 1/4 oz of number 5s,.
I would like to reload and have a load of maybe 1 1/8 oz of number 5s.
I would like to use Clays Powder as I have about 24 pounds of it,
does anyone know what bushing I will need for my MEC and what wad to use.
I am tired of paying high prices for factory loads.
Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
A couple of observations. First, 1 1/8 oz. #5 shot will take up more room in the hull and it may be you will need a bit shorter wad. And I'm not sue how MECs work but you may need to adjust your shot drop to get a full 1 1/8 oz. of #5 out of it.

Second, with 1 1/8 oz., Clays will only be good up to 1200 FPS. I don't know if that will be comparable to the 1 1/4 oz. loads you were using before, or if that makes a difference to you. Point being, in a heavier field load, Clays is not the ideal powder. But if you are OK with target load performance, it will work well.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Nebs is right about the powder you have but there is hope for a load of your choice !
Look at 800 X as the powder you need for those Crow Loads . I can tell you it has worked
well for me on Crows , pigeons and games shoots ! Those NEW Fed field and target hulls
have been working real nice for this load , with a Ched 209 , 23.5 grs of powder , 12S3
wad and 470 grs of 5's.......it smokes them way out there !

Try it ,you might like it too !

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
We could give you more help with the wad issue if you told us what hull you planned to use.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
crowhunter1 said:
... does anyone know what bushing I will need for my MEC ...
Dean-
Short answer: Nobody knows what bushing you will need. You have to find that out for yourself.

Longer answer: Loading data from Hodgdon or other sources will indicate the required weight of powder to move your chosen weight of shot at your chosen velocity from your selected hull with a given primer and wad. Which bushing will drop that indicated weight in your MEC depends on several factor, including which model of MEC and how it is operated. A given bushing will drop a heavier charge if it is in a machine that operates with a lot of vibration.

Standard forum advice: Obtain an accurate scale or balance, and use it properly to find the actual drops from your machine as operated by yourself. Otherwise, you may be dropping less than the loading data indicate, resulting in underperforming shells. Or you may be dropping more, resulting in undesirable pressures.

--Bob

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not to hi-jack this post...but to the OP... you find 1 1/8 oz of lead fives to throw a bit of a sparse pattern for a bird the size of a crow? plucked of their feathers a crow has a body about the size of a feral pigeon.

You could load a gajillion decent crow loads with 24 pounds of clays and any decent 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps trap/clays load recipe.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
canuck said:
Not to hi-jack this post...but to the OP... you find 1 1/8 oz of lead fives to throw a bit of a sparse pattern for a bird the size of a crow? plucked of their feathers a crow has a body about the size of a feral pigeon.

You could load a gajillion decent crow loads with 24 pounds of clays and any decent 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps trap/clays load recipe.
yep, and at those speeds would be good too, i`ve used 1,1/8oz #4s as well, with some "standard choking" that i use, good quality slow loads are better than ultra fast small shot.
clays would be good enough, although, i load up some 1,1/2 oz subsonics recently and they passed testing and are safe (with a different target powder) i tend to love firing big loads of big shot at relatively low speeds (about 1000fps, gets my vote). i can tell you 1,1/2oz oz of #2 or #1 can seriously ruin a birds day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I switched my crow and pigeon loads from 1 1/4 few years ago and believe me 1 1/8 works just fine. I use Red dot and #6 shot for crows and 7.5's for pigeons. They are right around 1225 chronograghed. Find a load in the Hodgdon website as the others suggested and do check out the powder weight on a scale. Make sure you check it after you have loaded a few rounds too because the vibration will typically increase the amount of powder thrown by a bit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Crows are not hard birds to kill. IMO when a shooter claims they can "carry a lot of lead", I feel this is a guy who shoots with bigger shot. Too many holes in a pattern at 40 yards plus. A broken wing or leg will bring a crow down only to be a hopper.

Multiple hits from smaller shot with a much more even pattern is more effective for me. I've shot crows with everything from 4 shot to 9's. Find 7 1/2 trap loads to be most effective at normal ranges. Folds them like a wet dish rag. Just my 2 bits worth...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.