Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i currently have an old Smith & Wesson with only modified, im looking to get a new gun and think on maybe a semi-auto.. I have been looking a Stoeger M2000. Any ideas of good guns??

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Look at the Beretta 3901 at wal mart.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Beretta 390. Cabelas is supposed to carry them. Best autoloader for the money.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I have hunted with my Stoeger 2000 for years with absolutely no problem of any kind since new. I highly recommend them. In my opinion they need an owner wiling to read the manual and break them in, and a Limbsaver or other very good recoil pad.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The poor guy wants an Auto. and you keep telling him to buy a 870.

I also think the Stoeger 2000 is a great gun. Since Beretta bought them they have really got there stuff together. Parts are heat treated much better and parts made on the latest CNC machinery. And they are just so simple to take apart and work on, and need to be cleaned much less!!! I have one and reload for it and being over 70 I like light loads. I reload all my shells and shoot SC and trap with it and have no trouble's at all. Keep it lubed in the right places and once broke in you will have no problems. I got the 30 in. barrel in wood and the wood is as nice as any gun I own, and I have some very nice guns that I have bought in the last 50 years. Got it at Dicks for $399.00. Good luck. If you do get one and have any questions PM me and I will give you my phone #.
Dave

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I have both the old model and the new model Stoeger 2000. Both have been very reliable right out of the box. They will cycle anything from 7/8 oz on up. They didn't require a break-in period. The new model is head and shoulders above the old model in the fit and finish of the parts. Though the owner's manual states that the minimum should be 1 oz loads, it hasn't failed me yet.

When Vursan was making this gun, they must have used dull files and cold chisels to machine the parts. Now, with the new CNC tooling, the 2000 is a decent economy gun. I always suggest that you add a Limbsaver as inertia actions have a lot of felt recoil.

Ducks and pheasants can be bagged with 2.75" or 3" loads. I've not seen the need to buy a 3.5" gun. In fact, I've never shot a 3" load as "it ain't the arrow, it is the indian" that makes a pheasant/duck hunt successful. Do your part and you won't need roman candles.

I agree with David on this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
David Clark said:
The poor guy wants an Auto. and you keep telling him to buy a 870.

He said "I think Maybe a semi-Auto". He also said that an 1100 was out of his price range. To me that means he didn't rule out other actions and did rule out a lot of semi-autos in that price range. Therefore, I think an 870 is a reasonable suggestion to consider along with the stoeger. Off hand I can't think of any other semi's that are less expensive than the 1100 that I would recommend.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The stoeger M2000 is a good gun for the money, you may also check out the Charles Daly semi-auto's, I have one and it is a great gas gun! not a problem and I do have a maxi-pump also that got sent back and fixed without a problem since and CD does have the best CS and repair policy I know of! check out the repair policy on their web site! Both are good guns! I do have both!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you have any thoughts on buying one used?

I know you said that the rem. 1100/11-87 is out of your price range (assuming you meant new), but you ought to take a look at the used ones out there.

I just bought a very nice (looks like it just came out of the box) Remington 1100 mag. used for $470. You could also get yourself a used 11-87 as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thanks for the awesome imput guys!! I know the 870 is a good gun, but a couple of my buddies have them and have had problems with the barrel rusting very quickly. I am leaning toward the M2000, i think im gonna go to Gander MT and see how it feels. I ll let ya know what the outcome is. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Jacobd9316 said:
I am leaning toward the M2000
Big mistake... cheap usually correlates strongly with unreliable. Many are happy with their Stoegers, but more have reported problems.

A used 1100 can be found for as little as $300... and will serve you well for a lifetime.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you're like me and not rich/never going to be rich, then I think you would do well to buy exactly what you want within reason on the price and never NEED to buy another gun. Save up for it.
I think the following guns should be on your short list----lightly used. Get on gunbroker or check your local gun stores for the following:

3" browning gold hunter
3" super x model 2 or 3
lots of folks like their beretta 390 and 391's---they sold lots of them and they're not hard to find, I haven't shot them a whole bunch.

I don't know a huge amount about stoeger's but if you get it and you don't like it, it will be MUCH harder to get rid of and get anywhere close to as much as you paid for it vs. the guns mentioned above which have well-earned reputations and have good resale value. The reason I say 3 inch is that from my experience they shoot light loads more reliably and can be gotten cheaper than the 3.5" version. I've never had a need for 3.5" shells and would hate to shoot them if I did. Last of all, you have to be patient and look for that good deal. I waited quite and while for my mag 12 a5 but finally found one in my price range in good shape with invector tubes for less than $600 shipped.
JMO,
JBJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Browning BPS from Bud's Gun shop - can get 6 month financing to spread the pain around a little bit. Dick's normally has 6 or 12 month financing as well. Also, I would take the Mossberg 930 from Dick's (about 439.00) over the Stoeger. If a pump is an option (as in the BPS), the Benelli Nova/Supernova series is great for duck's also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.