Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to change my stock recoil pad on my 12 ga. Beretta Onyx S686. I use it for trap and skeet, will also use it for hunting. The dealer I got it from suggested Beretta GelTek(sp?). Any opinions? Should I get something else? I trust SW advice more than the dealer's.

Thanks in advance,

- gadgetaddict

Sporting Clays Girl
Women's Shotgun Expert
(4/27/03 10:16:25 pm)
Reply Re: Need advice about a recoil pad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice to hear that you trust us! :) Okay i have a kickeez on my auto, and trap dude gooey pad on both my single shot and O/U.

www.trapdude.com
Fantastic!!

"Head on the stock, eye on the rock."

Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best

collky2
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/27/03 11:05:08 pm)
Reply Pad
The pachmar decelerator curved trap pad is a good one to use if shooting with a mounted gun. doesnt move on your sholder at all.

Steven

Instinctive Shooter
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/28/03 6:11:30 am)
Reply Re: Need advice about a recoil pad
If the butt of your 686 doesn't have two holes about 1/2" in dia. and about 1/2" deep in addition to the screw holes then you will either have to drill these in the butt or grind the protrusions off the base of the geltek pad. As far as I know all the gelteks have these as a "locator" of sorts. These pads are great! They also fit well enough on most Berettas that you don't have to do any grinding/finishing to make them fit.
I believe they are available in two different thicknesses, so you would need to know which you want. I have done several stocks for myself and others and simply ground the protrusions off the pads. The biggest advantage to the gelteks is the hard area at the top which facilitates mounting from the gun down position. If it wasn't for this I would go with a Kickeze. They finish nicely and provide good recoil absorption.

biggreenR
Frequent SW Visitor
(4/28/03 8:26:09 am)
Reply pads
Kickeez - sporting clay version

I am sure you already know but they will need to be ground and fitted to your stock.

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(4/28/03 4:55:31 pm)
Re: pads
Trapdude.com

www.trapdude.com/Original..._pads.html
There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shot with a guy today who has an HiViz X-Coil and likes it so much he's going to replace the KickEZs on all of his guns with it

G

·
I used to use Pachymeyer, now I like Kick-eez. Never tried the Bretta, it might be great.

I think Kick-eez makes a pad with an adjustable hole spacing to fit the Beretta. You might take a look at the new tapered design. I got one on order, so I won't know how it works until I get it mounted, but I had my hands on one and it looks to me like an improvement.

·
Registered
328 Posts
shotgunworld said:
I decided to change my stock recoil pad on my 12 ga. Beretta Onyx S686. I use it for trap and skeet, will also use it for hunting. The dealer I got it from suggested Beretta GelTek(sp?). Any opinions? Should I get something else? I trust SW advice more than the dealer's.

Thanks in advance,

- gadgetaddict
I use a Gel-Tek on my 391 and I have been quite happy with it. My suggestion is you try the Gel-Tek...it will cost you about $40 and you will not need to alter it or the gun one bit. If it doesn't perform as you would like, take it off the gun and return it for a refund (assuming you buy it from a retailer with a reasonable return policy.)

Mike

G

·
Help, I just received a Wenig "New Americian Style" butt stock for my Browing Citori shotgun. What recoil pad do I need to purchase so I can attach to the rough stock and belt sand to size.

Thanks,

Jim Spiroff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts