Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for anyone who can give me advice on what kind of gun to get-- I am going back and forth. I really don't want to spend more than about 800 on a gun, my husband wants me to get a Pintail or Franchi 20g. He just doesn't understand my love for the OU. I had a 12g.Ruger red label about 2 years ago and loved it--all but the weight.(about 7.5lbs.)But I decided I wanted carpet in my bedrooms and sold my gun. I love my carpet and miss my gun. I really want a 24" barrel. My hubby has a SBE W/26" and it seems so long. I have found that I can get a Stoeger Condor for less than 500 and wanted to know what anyone thought of it. I know it will never even come close to my Ruger but I could have 3 of them for the price of 1 Ruger. The thing I have liked least when looking at guns at a shop is they seem to be hard to break open. My ruger was soooo easy and I thought maybe others might loosen up over time. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You want a O/U then go get one. However reading your post I say buy used. You will be much happier with a quality used gun than a new cheaper gun like the stoeger. Plus they will be looser than a brand new gun. $800 or few dollars more can get you a good used O/U that will last the rest of your shooting career. You had a great gun in the Red label and I think you will really miss it like never before if you get a Stoeger.

Now the models to look for, used ruger red lables are not that hard to find in the $800's and you can usualy deal a bit on used guns. Used Winchester 101's are great deals that can be had for as low as $700. The company that made the 101 is Nikko and their guns are copies of the 101 which can be had for as low as $500. There are Browning Superposeds out there that can be had in the $800 range. The Browning Citori from the 70's can be had in the $800 range fairly common. Miroku the company that makes the Citori has their models that are again copies of the citori and I have seen very cheap in the $400's.
Savage in the 60's and 70's had very nice o/u made in italy that you can get under $500. My wife has a Savage 444b deluxe 20ga o/u that only cost her $325 and is in beautiful shape. SKB used model 505 and 585 can be great deals they are well made beautiful guns. Ithaca had imported SKB doubles model 500 most common and they can usualy be had even cheaper. I have seen a few beretta o/u's around $800 one is the Essential kinda a entry level gun. Used blackwings/whitewings can be had for $800.

There are alot of used good o/u's that you can look for and honestly you had a real nice gun you will notice the difference between the new cheaper models especialy since you have said you liked that gun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have to agree with my hubby on the above post. You will be much happier with another high quality shotgun than a Stoeger. However I would say you might want to stay away from the Nikko and Miroku models. That would be for more the advanced shoper who really knows what to look for. But all the rest are great guns. I have like he said, the Savage 444b and I love that gun. The price was what I noticed first then the gun was in just imaculate shape, it was priced at $399 and I got it for $325. Keep looking for the deals and when you get find one you will enjoy the gun adn the deal you got on it. On a plus note when shoping for used I don't know how tall you are. But if like me you need the stock shortened, and you find a gun with a cutt stock that fits you can get more money off since it has been modified.

G

·
We went today to a good sized gun shop and gave them all a good look over and I have almost come to the conclusion--I hate to say it--my hubby might be right. I think I have fallen in love. A Beretta Teknys--OH MY GOODNESS--the fit is perfect. I never have even really looked at 20 gauges but I think maybe that is what I want, I love the xtra wood and the gel tec pad and the gun was amazingly light and balanced. I got to really compare the feel of several high quality ou's to some high quality autos. And the winner is Teknys. Anyone ever owned or shot one--do you like it?? Think it compares to OU's?

Guess I've blown my budget. Any better guns in that price range(it was $979). My hubby thinks it is worth the $. He likes the Benelli Montifeltro, but still thinks the Teknys is better bang for my buck. What do ya'll think??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just want to say that I really like your signature. :D

I also wanted to put in my two cents about the Teknys. It is on my birthday wish list for the very reasons that you have mentioned. I was fortunate enough to have a fellow shooter at my gun club let me shoot hers, and it is just wonderful!!! Very easy to swing and the kickback wasn't bad at all. I thought with it being as light as it is that I might lose my shoulder, but I had no problems.

If you do decide to go with it, please post how you like it. I would love to hear.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx I really like yours, too. I am going with the Teknys, I had to put it on lay-away though, am hoping to get it out by next month. I 'll definately let you know how I like it.

I thought I'd introduce myself- I'm Melanie, 24, I have 3 girls-a 3yr old and a set of 1yr old twins. I live in TN and we are farmers. I am so glad to find a few women who like to shoot, it seems like they are few and far between--I mean, like to shop and all, but I'd rather hunt or fish anyday. I have not ever really shot a lot of clays, but would like to when I have a little more time. I like to dove hunt, but my real true love is deer hunting, I dream about it. I can't wait for season to open(just a couple more weeks here), I got a new bow this year and am getting tired of shooting a hay bale. I can't wait to see how my new gun is going to do with slugs. I don't use rifles so this gun is going to have to do it all.

Thanks for being so friendly--i have went to some other message boards where they never reply to anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums! (i'm the one thats always late LOL) Thats cool we are all about the same age huh? I'm 23 now golden your 23 right and melanie is 24! I too share your passion for deer hunting. I love it i don't know why but when season rolls around thats pretty much all i want to do. I love to shoot shotgun too but deer huntin i'd take it any day. I'm also an avid purse/shoeshopper. All of which is expensive, guns shoes and purses. Well at least its not golf, well not yet LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.