Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in NYC and am totally new on shotgunning. I will get my shotgun/rifle license in about two months and I am researching on the first gun to purchase. I need a gun to be able to do trap shooting reasonably well and can be taken to field if I ever decide to do hunting. Currently I am looking closely at Remington Semi-Auto Shotgun 1187 Premier 12/30 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3170072 , is this the right gun to do trap shooting? I can always get a rifled barrel for it and go deer hunting, right?
Or maybe the Remington Semi-Auto Shotgun 1187 Premier Cantilever Deer Gun 12/21 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3170249 , I can buy a 30" barrel for it and it becomes a trap gun with a monte carlo stock?

Please don't laugh at me, I know nothing about it.

Thank you very much!

Sheng

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I never thought about it, but I kinda like your idea of getting the deer gun and a 30" barrel for targets, it has a 1 3/8" drop to the M/C which is workable, and I like that stock better than the rule of thumb dropped field version.

I suppose your state requires slugs for deer?

I'm sure others will be in here will more knowledge about the combo, but for now I would say it could be a nice package----of course I would have to lose the strap.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If your not sure about going hunting in the future, but know that you plan on trapshooting, perhaps you should look at buying a trap gun now. Later, if you take up hunting, you can always get a hunting firearm. A man can't have to many guns. :wink: :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, Steve and 12Ga Guy! Merry Christmas!
Yes, we need slugs to hunt deer here. The down side of living in NYC is that you don't have too much space. I live in a one bedroom apartment so I basically have no storage for a lot of long guns. A good combo is what I am looking for, it should do trap shooting, deer hunting, and possibly waterfowl hunting. This whole package will be nicely placed under my bed, together with other stuffs like off season clothes. :lol:
Any more recommendations?

Thanks again!

Sheng

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might also consider a Remington 870. You can get a slug barrel for it and a waterfowl barrel as well. I would say it would probably be a little more reliable than the 11-87.

hubcap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
That's a Classic 870 Trap, it has a 2 3/4 chamber. The recoil from a pump is going to be monumental compared to a gas gun (1187), just so you know.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Haha, I know this is way late on this thread but I live in New York and I know you can also use buck shot for deer hunting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
heres what ill be getting as soon as i get the money, i suggest it to start.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3138557

and if you ever need a repeater for high-powered rifle then go to big5 and buy a mosin-nagant, they constantly have various models on sale for $75 to $79. i have a 91/30 and its fun and cheap to shoot.

oh if/when you have the money get yourself a .22LR, thier fun and very inexpensiv to shoot. i have a glenfield model 60 [made by marlin] and it is very accurate and reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts