Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally saved enough to purchase my first shotgun. It will probably be a pump, as I only have about $450 to spend. The problem is the more I learn, the more I get confused. I would like some opinion on an all around use shotgun. All around use meaning goose, duck, turkey, rabbit, perhaps deer, as well as some clays. I was leaning toward the Nova, but heard they had some problems with cracking. I looked at the BPS, but was not crazy about it. I know the 870 is the most popular and seems a very safe choice. Is there any difference between the 870 Express and Wingmaster besides the finish? I was thinking about the Wingmaster, but some think it is crazy to buy a gun with a nice finish for goose and turkey hunting. I did not have any trouble with fit with any of the guns mentioned and have done some shooting in an law enforcement capacity. I do not know anything about the Winchester or Ithaca guns, but I am open for any advice before making a choice. I am sorry about the meandering line of commentary and questions, but that is about where I am right now. It has been a crazy two years and this is going to be my hobby to keep the stress down from the job. Doctor's orders. Thanks in advance and have a Happy and safe New Year!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome Cowboy,I would like to answer the finish of the gun question you have. In my experince the only new modern finishes to stay away from are the silver shiny ones. Like nickel and stainless. The only reason for this is the reflection will spook game. If your prey sees your gun befor you see your prey, you shoot nothing. That said you can take any other finish in the field safely. Modern finishes will hold up well to any hunting you might do if you treat your gun like a gun and not a stick. I see guys use guns for moving brush and fences out of the way and then talk about how cheap the finish on the gun is. Well if you spend the day rubbing it on barbwire and thorns then yeah it'll get scratched. If you use your gun as a tool to take game then any modern finish will do. Pick the one you like best. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GS:Thank you kindly for your help. Is it somewhat safe to assume that camo finish would not be very necessary with all the different types of hunting I intend to do? I do like that Wingmaster. Thanks again.Cowboy

·
Registered
66 Posts
My advice would be a Winchester Black Shadow 1300 pump (synthetic stock) with a 28 inch barrel and multiple chokes. You can also get a rifled slug barrel or a rifled choke. I never shot steel shot in mine, so you have to do a little reasearch on what type of choke tube would be safe for steel shot(duck). Ask the manufacterer.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Never heard of a Nova cracking! 870 isn't a bad choice and I know nothing at all about Mossys. I'm a Model 12 fan. You can get a good used Model 12 for that kind of money!

BP

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Go nova. It's a faster gun than the remmie. The price is unbeatable for a gun of that quality.

You'll have money left over for shells - which won't be the case with a BPS.

The Nova has as much of a chance as cracking as the synth remmie - probably less if the quality of the latest remingtons is any indication.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
All of the guns mentioned enjoy solid reputations and have many advocates. For pumps at this price point the arguments tend to be of the Ford vs Chevy type. From the variety of uses you intend a 12 Ga seems the obvious choice. The best advice may be to go to the local range and just fire a box or two thru each of your options. The best fitting gun should make itself known pretty quick Although the 870 Express and Wingmaster are basically the same gun the Wingmaster is a more finished product. A lot of 870 fans prefer an older (used) Wingmaster, they seem to feel the newer Remingtons aren't made as well. People seem to love or hate the Nova as everything about it is distinctive. For my use, the Mossberg 500 is just fine. The gun that "feels" right is a gun you'll want to use and in the end will probably be the best buy for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts