Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well after weeks and weeks of learning how to shoot skeet, I decided to walk over and give the trap fields a try. I think I'm just as hooked! :D

I've only shot two rounds, though. A 17, then a 19.

Most of the birds I dropped were clays that were headed straight away from me. I didn't have too much trouble with the angled birds.

What is the general strategy for shooting the "no angle" clays? Most of the old-timers at my club are skeet guys, so I've been getting some great coaching in that regard. But for some reason, regulars who shoot trap are few and far between!

By the way, I was using my 391 with Winchester Xpert #7 steel shot (we're on a lake). I used a Mod choke the first round and an IC the second time.

thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I wait until they get to the top of their arc, when they appear to sort of hover. Then I shoot just below and they fall into my shot cloud.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that makes sense.

I wonder if maybe I was shooting underneath them but wasn't waiting until they hit their arc. I'd take the shot as soon as I saw them, which probably meant they were still rising a bit...

·
2,390 Posts
The straight-away target looks like a stationary beach ball just hanging out there, which causes one to stop swinging, aim at it and miss it (under the target). It is actually moving out and up rapidly. To break the rising straight-away with a field gun one must swing up through the bird, covering it before pulling the trigger. Hence the big advantage in a trap gun. Trap guns shoot high so you don't have to cover the bird and can always see it.

Most trap shooters move promptly to the target breaking 16yd singles when they are about 35yds from the gun and still rising. If you ride it out until the arc peaks, it will be about 47yds from the gun. Also, the target will be affected much more by wind on a windy day as it gets out farther and it's speed and rotation slow.

As for your chokes, steel generally patterns significantly tighter than lead. So, your IC choke may well be throwing Mod patterns which would be fine for 16yd targets if you shoot them promptly (that's what I shoot at 16). Your Mod choke may be throwing Full patterns which you will probably want if you are going to ride the targets out to the peak.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did have the tendency to stop the gun on those straight shots...

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
I find that when I miss the straightaways in trap, I'm usually shooting OVER them. The reason is because I hold just above the top of the trap house, then swing the gun upward as the target rises. The problem is, the target trajectory, when viewed from the shooting station, starts to flatten out, but my gun is still accelerating upward. Result, shot over the top of the target. If I remember to shoot these when the front bead (of my flat shooting gun) is about 8" to 10" below the target, then I usually break them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It should also be pointed out that so-called straightaway shots are often not really truly straightaways but have a very slight left or right angle to them. If you are not on the correct side of that angle, you will often miss them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another problem people have with straight aways, myself included, is that it looks like such an easy shot, that they just poke the gun at it, and lift their head to see the inkspot that you expect to turn it into.... oops, the next thing you hear is "lost"....keep your head on the stock, and I bet you start seeing them smokeball....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's easy to see them as "freebies"...

In skeet, the one high house and seven low house shots used to be almost automatic breaks for me. Then I think I took them so much for granted that I actually stopped focusing and lately I've been missing them regularly. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts